Feeling low and anxious

I am sorry if this has already been posted but I cannot see it on the forum. 

It is lovely to come across something like this for support and people who understand how you may feel. 

Yesterday i recieved a letter following my latest smear which states severe dyskaryosis and my appointment enclosed for a colposcopy on Monday. 

This has all made me feel really anxious to be honest, I have hardly ate or slept the weekend, I have read it can be common but I can’t help thinking over things in my head. I am a nurse and sometimes I don’t think we make the best patients! I am not so nervous about the proceduee it’s just the waiting and the unknown.

I have work coming up, I don’t feel like I can concentrate until this is all out of the way on Monday. My husband wants me to ring in sick as he said it also isnt fair on patients or staff if my mind isnt on the job. It’s very rare I have time off work so I think perhaps people would question things at work? I have also read about treatments and regarding heavy lifting how does this link with work? 

Just feel like perhaps I need to pull myself together until next week and face it all then and try and carry on as normal as possible.

Thank you 

Hey Lewis89, 

I was in a really similar position to you - I'm a junior doctor, had my first smear, was told CIN 3 and had a LLETZ last Monday. Please please try not to worry about it. I completely agree that we don't make the best patients and I was probably the poor nurses' most annoying patient all day questioning her every move but it really isn't that bad. I also had to go to work straight after. I too was worried after reading lots about pain and heavy bleeding but I was completely fine. I know nurses generally do lots more heavy lifting etc but I knew I couldn't get any time off so I just accepted the fact I'd have to be ok to go to work and it was completley ok.

I also openly spoke to my work collegeues about it and it turned out that quite a lot of them - particularly other nurses, had had the same proceedure in the past and offered be lots of support. Talking helps, I promise. 

The way you're feeling is completely rational and normal and we all worry, but try to focus on the facts for now and try not to catastrophise. I know that's easier said than done and we're all guilty of it. 

Hope that helps a little.

Thinking of you! :) 

Thank you for your comment Claire, im sorry to hear you are dealing with a similar situation, im sure the nurses didn’t think this at all. 

Bless you for going back into work after, you should of been looking after yourself instead of others!

Yes, we do quite a lot of lifting at work like large dialysis bags etc. 

I went into work last night and we had a sad incident I could hardly contain myself therefore today I went to my GP who was lovely and signed me off for two weeks and said she it isn’t fair on myself, my staff or patients. I will keep myself occupied over the next week and take it as it comes Monday. 

Can I ask, did they take a biopsy? Is it routine to do LLETZ straight away on CIN3, like do you think I’ll have it Monday? 

xx

Yes, completely routine. If you're happy to go ahead on the day and the areas small enough they do colposcopy and lletz in the same appointment. 

Sounds like you deserve a break from work, so try and take time to look after yourself. Monday will be fine, the waiting is worse than the actual appointment.

Keep me updated on how you get on 

Xx

Hi Lewis69 yes it is true about nurses being patients I am an ex midwife and I was sure I was a nightmare over imagining everthing. My consultant does the lletz at the time of the colposcopy if you agree. I will say you may need a couple of days after the lletz to recover so be kind to yourself. The waiting is dreadful, waiting for procedures then waiting for the results its so easy to turn into an anxious blob lol. Stay off google talkt to friends and family and ask on this forum if you have concerns. Good luck for monday and take care x

Thank you ladies!! Cherry the waiting is just the worst I feel I have failed myself as i haven’t coped with it very well, it seems quite common? 

Today I went for my colposcopy, it confirmed severe dyskaryosis they took two biopsies which will take 3-4 weeks then the LLETZ? I questioned why not today for the treamtent she explain lack of staff and equipment!! She later said after the procedure she wouldnt of been able

to complete it as I was had started my period (how typical like today of all days, gosh). 

Tried to give myself a slap this afternoon, there  nothing I can do at the moment. Just hope i get the results before xmas. 

You aren't alone with your worry...I am a 50 year old woman and just had my first pap after 25 years since I had my last, and got a call 3 weeks later scheduled for a colposcopy by the receptionist and I said what for and she said extreme high abnormal cells...So right away I am thinking cancer (I lost a mother to cervical cancer 17 years ago), so you can imagine where my mind went.

I, like you, can't eat, cried every second of the day, I also couldn't sleep...I am running on stress and anxiety and suprised I haven't been admitted into the hospital with stress causes. THe only other info I got apart from the receptionist was a letter saying your pap was abnormal and further testing is required (which I knew by this time because of the call from the receptionist). 

I  just had my colposcopy and biopsy done yesterday and hope for the best, so I just wanted to say you are not alone with your worry because thank God for this site because at times I thought to myself I was going crazy with my thinking because I don't know the results yet and its good to know we aren't alone with our worry. That others experience the same thing.