Enlarged lymph node - scared

I was diagnosed with 1b1 grade 3 squarmous CC a week ago. The MRI showed no spread and I was sent for a CT before confirming date for RH. I had got my head round this and was feeling fairly positive. Following my CT the consultant brought my appointment forward. My nurse told me this is because the CT showed an enlarged lymph node that needs to be investigated. This has really scared me and set me back into panic mode again. I’m terrified of being restaged and my prognosis being worse.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Did they tell you what size the lymph node was? They most likely still think it's due to inflammation, which can happen. Sometimes the lymph nodes can become swollen but not necessarily mean there's cancer in them. They will take some out during your surgery to test them. Good luck with your surgery and I hope all turns out well.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. They haven't said how big. I can see you had a lymph node involved, it's so good to know I'm not the only one. This is such a scary time. 

Just saw the consultant, it is 9mm. He was talking a out bumping me up to stage 3 if the scan is positive. I'm so scared. 

Well it's good there was only one that showed up, hopefully it's just inflammation. I had a couple that showed up on my scan but when they did my surgery and took a bunch out they were just swollen and didn't have cancer in it. The one they found cancer in was tiny and had microscopic cells in it. They said it would have never shown up on a scan it was too small. I had a near 6cm tumor tho, so your lymph node could just be swollen. When's your surgery?

They are going to do a PET scan and see if that shows cancer in the node. If it does then they won't operate or remove any nodes, they will just send me straight for the chemorads. It has helped me so much hearing that you have had the same, I can't thank you enough for putting your history on here. This forum is just about keeping me sane at the moment. 

When is your scan? I know right now must be a stressful time right now for you, try to stay away from google. I remember I lost way to many tears going down that road , it's just not worth it. The pet scans are pretty quick, and way easier than a mri. So don't be nervous for that. They do give you a contrast in your body that warms you, almost feels like you peed, but don't worry u didn't lol. Luckily I had read that online before my pet ,otherwise it probably would have thrown me off guard.are you from the U.K.? I'm from the United States.

I had three nodes show up on my MRI scan which were flagged as beeing suspicious of cancer. They were 8 and 6 mm, but when I had my Pet scan they didn't show up. They don't necessarily have to be cancerous, and even if they are, radiation will kill them off. 

About this staging thing,  before 2019 you would be a stage 1b1 N1 ( or N2 or 3 depending on the number of nodes showing up) 

They've changed the way staging is done, but this does not change your chances of beeing cured, so don't try to focus on that. 

Wishing you the best of luck during your treatment, you got this!!

1 Like

I had cancer in 5 lymph nodes and that's just coming up 23 years now. You would need the chemorads but it's most definitely curable. It's just a different treatment pathway.

Karen x 

1 Like

Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how much this has helped me. When I am feeling frightened I read your comments and they give me so much strength. This is a wonderful place xxx

I hope your scan goes smoothly, keep us updated.