Emotional and Overwhelmed

I'm new here and I have to say I've found so much comfort in reading this forum. 

I had my colposcopy 4 days ago and I wasnt really completely prepared For how I'd feel afterward. I'd read online that itsno big deal and women go back to work the next day like nothing happened. After speaking to a work friend whose sister had the procedure I then realised it was a bit more of a deal than I'd thought. 

The procedure it self hurt a lot more than everyone had said. The doctor too punch biopsies and showed me a photo afterward of my cervix and the abnormal areas they are concerned about.

The doctor was suprised to find my entire cervix was covered in ectropion. Because of this she cauterised my entire cervix. There was a lot of blood. 

I returned home and went to bed. The pain was excruciating and the first day it hurt to pee and sit. Day 2 the heavy bleeding started. Especially at night. I had to switch from panty liners to nighttime sanitary pads because the bleeding is so much. 

I had to take 2 days of work as I felt physically and emotionally wrecked. The pain and heavy bleeding are so uncomfortable and I barely want to move or go out. I feel like a cry baby for having to take two days off work but I think I was in denial about how big a deal the procedure is. 

Ive had lots of kind friends but I do feel like my work thinks I'm weak and a pain. 

Ive also been so down and very emotional. I have at least 2 tearies a day. I feel so silly

i am awaiting by results which they said can take 3-4 weeks. The doctor said if the results come back cin 2 or 3 they will schedule surgery under general anesthesia. 

Theres so little real talk about what goes on and how it feels. I'm glad this forum exists 

Hi RenneC,

I am sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I had my second lletz procedure for severe cell changes 5wks ago. I agree that they don't prepare you for how you feel after it's done.

I found the actual procedure ok. The last 5.5 wks though have been up and down.

The good news is my results came back in less than 2wks...I think it depends on the area you live. Waiting for the results is all consuming and every scenario goes through your head. I too felt low, tearful and youre aware of your body - every discharge, bleed more than ever. 

I told my consultant that I was going on my first holiday with my boyfriend abroad ( both nearly 50) 3 wks after the colposcopy. He said I needed the lletz there and then. 2 wks later, i started bleeding bright red blood, with strange odour. Contacted hospital and told probably an infection put on antibiotics. At the hospital they said if I stopped bleeding before my hol I could still swim on holiday.

3.5wks after lletz, went on holiday...all fine. Swim but we were good and no sex. Get back from holiday and started exercising again( 5wks post lletz...during first class started bleeding ( that was Friday) now pain when I urinate and bright red blood. Just waiting for doc to phone me back...to say I'm fed up is an understatement. good job I have an understanding boyfriend. no sex now for 5 and a half weeks xx just cancelled this weeks exercise classes. 

I hope you feel better soon, reading other people's experiences has shown me that some heal quicker than others. You will get through this, just be kind to yourself and rest when you can.

Big Hugs x

This forum has been a life saver for me in keeping me sane and is the best source of information out there. 

Im sorry to hear youve had such a rough time. It's true some may feel 'fine to resume normal activities' the day after but the truth is many arent! I took the next day off as a precaution, back to work the day after and immediately regretted it! Took the next week off, I feel like my work took the procedure more seriously than I did. I felt such a wuss and also a cry baby because I was in so much pain and felt so rotten! Luckily not much bleeding after for me but all the gross discharge has started in the past week.

Love to all and hope you're feeling better soon xx

This forum has been a life saver for me in keeping me sane and is the best source of information out there. 

Im sorry to hear youve had such a rough time. It's true some may feel 'fine to resume normal activities' the day after but the truth is many arent! I took the next day off as a precaution, back to work the day after and immediately regretted it! Took the next week off, I feel like my work took the procedure more seriously than I did. I felt such a wuss and also a cry baby because I was in so much pain and felt so rotten! Luckily not much bleeding after for me but all the gross discharge has started in the past week.

Love to all and hope you're feeling better soon xx