Does three years seem a long wait for next smear

Hi all,

Over the last couple of years I have had abnormal smears, colposcopies, lletz for cin3 treatment. After my lletz I had an abnormal smear cin1 they did some small biopsies and removed it, since that I was referred back to my gp for my smears, I have had two normal smears since my treatment and my 3rd smear I just got my results which say there are borderline changes but a negative for hpv so they won’t need to see me again for 3 years. This seems strange to me as I was tested positive for hpv previously and I have gone from normal smears and 6 month check ups back to borderline… I’m not happy about waiting 3 years for my next smear when I have some abnormalities that doesn’t seem right to me. Has anybody else experienced a similar situation?

Many thanks
Shell

I think 3 years is much too long of a time to wait to be honest. Im waiting on my colposcopy, I have abnormal results from my first smear & high risk HPV. Even if everything is fine with me after my colposcopy I will still be pushing for more frequent smears. 

xx 

I think 3 years is much too long of a time to wait to be honest. Im waiting on my colposcopy, I have abnormal results from my first smear & high risk HPV. Even if everything is fine with me after my colposcopy I will still be pushing for more frequent smears. 

xx 

No harm in speaking to your gp about your concerns and seeing if they can follow up sooner. After the week I've just had I wouldn't be happy going back to 3 yearly.

If it was me I might be tempted to invent some symptoms to get checked sooner but I would never encourage anyone to lie. So don't take my advice it's very naughty.