Dissapointed I couldn't do it!

I went for my first ever SMEAR test today - I wasn't nervous or scared. I am lucky and I have grown up with a Mam who has always attended them and told me about them, so it's never been scary or taboo for me. 

The nurse was absolutely lovely and helpful, everything about it was absolutely fine but unfortunately I just couldn't do it. It got to a point where they were inserting the Speculum and it was a sharp pain and I couldn't complete the SMEAR after two trys. 

Luckily the nurse has said that because I was so tense, I can attend another one and they have prescribed me with Diazepam to take 1hr before to see if that makes any difference. 

I'm just so dissapointed in myself that I couldn't do it! Has anyone else experienced this? 

Please don’t be hard on yourself. I too have suffered from severe pain with this , even when I was in labour i felt more pain with the internal exam than the actual labour ! Over time I have managed to endure it , especially after speaking to the nurse and making sure they understand and go as gently as possible . Once the thing is in you can’t feel the smear being taken. My nurse offered for me to put the device in as well as she said some ladies find that being in control easier . I hope you are able to get it done. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - it's greatly appreciated! 

Hopefully when i go back for my next one and take the Diazepam it will help relax me to just get it over and done with. I had that feeling in my head the first time and I was trying to endure it however it was just not comfortable AT ALL and I would of been putting myself in pain for just the fact of 'getting it done'.