Constant pain 9.5 wks pain after smear

Please can someone advise? Smear showed hpv positive, no abnormal cells. But 9.5 wks after smear I still had constant dull ache, like mild period pain, made worse when I needed the toilet. Has anyone who’s tested positive for abnormal/precancerous etc cells experienced this after a smear/other. I’ve read numerous reports of clear smears with abnormal colposcopy results, or 12mnth turnaround from no abnormal cells to needing treatment so am concerned something may have been missed on the smear?

I’ve had abnormal cells on two occasions, and also Hpv with no abnormal cells, in between. I have never experienced symptoms because of those abnormal cells/ HPV, and am not aware that they actually do cause any symptoms - this is the whole point of cervical screening, and why it comes as such a shock sometimes that the screening has picked up hpv or abnormal cells, when actually we feel completely well and asymptomatic.
I think if you were having these dull period pains before your smear, and they are still ongoing, then it’s worth speaking to a GP about it - your smear test will only have looked for HPV/ abnormal cells, it will not be able to provide a diagnosis for those pains. Your result was HPV positive, with no abnormal cells, your next smear in a year may be completely clear. So it may be that you need more specific checks now for those period pains, and consider that there is a completely unrelated cause for them.
The other possibility is this, and forgive me if I am completely off the mark - if the period pains only started after your smear, and specifically after your HPV positive result, could it be that the result has planted a little seed in your mind, and you are now overthinking, and dwelling on the HPV result? Just having that result can convince us that we have all manner of symptoms, and it is difficult to be rational and accept the result for what it is, ( and tjis has been my experience!). I believe it’s unlikely that your recent test has missed something. It might be worth trying to put that result to the back of your mind, but considering discussing your current specific symptoms with a Gp.

2 Likes

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m now looking at other causes of the pain, but googling those is just as scary, ie uterine cancer etc I do have very watery discharge on the odd occasion, but not frequently. :weary: Can that be normal? The pains definately there tho and it’s not psycological. Initially I thought it may have been the smear itself that caused the pain, as I did think the speculum pinched, but 13 weeks later I think this may be wishful thinking? I’m waiting for the doc to get back to me xx

I’m getting this now too. What happens with the Dr? Did you find anything out?

Hi. Had MRI. Showed “suspected” adenomyosis - (endometriosis. ) Unsure what suspected means as doesn’t sound 100% certain. A GP phone call seemed to think this wouldn’t be felt during a smear though. I still wonder if I was just pinched at the smear, tel call did talk re bad technique. 7 months since last smear (as had private smear after 1st result to double check cells,) and have gone from hpv + no cell changes, to high grade (moderate) changes. Waiting colposcopy.