Confused! Mismatched results, MDT?!

Hi everyone,

new to the forum although have viewed topics a few times. Well, I'm feeling very confused and fed up at the moment. Since June 2011, I've been back and forth for smears and colposcopies for abnormal cells. My last smear in April, showed severe dyskaryosis. I saw the consultant in July and he told me that I'd probably have to have an hysterectomy because the abnormal cells kept returning. He took a biopsy and said I'd receive a  letter with results and plan of action.

As you can imagine I felt really scared, but also relieved that there was an end in sight, after two years. I've just received my letter and the biopsy showed no pre-cancerous changes but because it didn't match my recent smear, my case would be discussed at the next MDT meeting?!!!

First of all I'm delighted that my biopsy showed no cc, but now I'm really confused by what this all means. I don't know anything about MDT meetings and will have to play the waiting game (again!) I don't even know when the meeting is, my letter was very brief and didn't have much info at all.

Wondered if anyone else has had similar experience, would appreciate any advice.

xxxxx

I too am waiting a mdt meeting all I know is in my hospital they only have them once a month I missed out on the July one tho my results was in not enough time to prepare for that one so got to wait till 21st August then my app is in sept it is so hard playing the waiting game I ended up going to my docs to talk to her to ask what can I expect this helped as waiting 7 weeks just awful I hope u get your app soon n that its all good xxx

I too am waiting a mdt meeting all I know is in my hospital they only have them once a month I missed out on the July one tho my results was in not enough time to prepare for that one so got to wait till 21st August then my app is in sept it is so hard playing the waiting game I ended up going to my docs to talk to her to ask what can I expect this helped as waiting 7 weeks just awful I hope u get your app soon n that its all good xxx

Hi ladies,

MDT is Multi-Disciplinary Team - it's  basically a team of experts from different areas - a gynecologist, radiologist (reads xrays), surgeon etc. They usually meet to look at all the evidance in a person's 'case' to decide what action, if any, needs to be taken. Where someone has cancer, they look at what treatment is required to remove the cancer with the least risk to the patients general health.

In your case laurah is sounds like the results are not what was expected, so these 'experts' will look at all your notes and decide if they need to get you back in for further tests (don't be too worried if they suggest a scan or x-ray) and what, in any, tests are required to understnad what is happening in your situation.

I'd say that with a team of experts reviewing your case, you should get some peace of mind, and certainly they should come up with a plan (even if it's no further investigation required) that is in your best interest. It's a good thing that they're having this meeting about you.

Sounds like you need to find out when this meeting is taking place, does your consultant have a secretary you can badger for information? It doesn't hurt to make a nuisance of yourself, and if you don't understnad something then you are absolutely right to question them.

Best of luck, waiting is just horrible, but it's good that they are finally looking at your case.

Lisa

Hi Laura,

My case sounds very similar to yours. My case is being brought up at one of those meetings too and I have to wait until the 11th Sept to find out more I guess. They said my results were inconclusive but one of the lovely ladies on here advised me that they perhaps they were just discussing because they were conflicting results. Hopefully that's it in all our cases. Do you have an appointment yet to see them?

Hi Everyone. I know this is an old thread but wondered what happened? I have high grade changes in my smear but colposcopy was conflicting so have been referred to MDT in a month. They suggested perhaps the problem was further up my cervix?? It would be good to know what happened in your cases. Thanks. Donna. PS I have a long history of abnormal cells and treatment etc...