Confused by wording in results letter - post follow up smear at hospital

Hi there!

I am wondering whether anyone can shed light on a somewhat confusing results letter I received today from the hospital. 

In October I had a colposcopy for removal of a cervical polyp, which was found to be (much to my relief!) a 'harmless polyp'. 

Early in February I had a follow-up smear at the same clinic in the hospital.  Today I received a letter with the following wording:

"Following your recent visit to the Colposcopy clinic, I am pleased to inform you that everything appears to be normal and you do not need to be seen in clinic again.

I would be grateful if you would see your GP for your routine cervical screening."

I am wondering why I have been advised to see my GP after a recent normal smear test for another one?!  I am going to phone the hospital tomorrow, but in the meantime I am having a bit of a panic....

Any ideas anyone?  Thanks!

Hi mushroomz 

My interpretation of that would be that you no longer have to attend the hospital and it's back to doctors for future smears. It sounds positive to me.

I agree, your 'routine' smear is when you would usually have it next (3 years or however frequently you have them) so whenever that is you're good to have it at your doctors. Great news!

Yes!  Phoned my doctor today and theat's exactly what they said, thank goodness!

XX