Confused :/

Hi, I am new here and I am looking for some advice please.

I went for a smear test on the 19th April. I received a letter from my GP on 17th May saying that there were changes on my recent smear test that require further investigation and I would be sent out an appointment within 8 weeks. 8 days later I received a letter from my local hospital with an appointment for a colposcopy on 10th June.

My last smear test was 3 years ago and the result came back normal. I am anxious about my upcoming appointment and upset that I have been given no information on what the changes found are. Is this normal? should I be going to see my GP to discuss the smear test result or do I just wait to my hospital appointment?

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you've found yourself in this position, please can I ask if you have you had a letter from the hospital as well or just your GP? The reason I ask is that I received a letter directly from the hospital to say I needed a colposcopy as my smear revealed moderate changes (i.e CIN 2/3) yet the letter from my GP (which arrived after)was more vague and just stated 'abnormal changes'.

If I was you I would maybe phone your GP and ask them to clarify what they know. I often think they try to simplify their letters to make them easier to understand (and possibly less scary)

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on x x

Sorry I've just re-read your post and see that you have had a letter from the hospital, doh! Was it just an appointment without a covering letter? xx

Thanks for your reply. Yeah it was just an appointment letter and booklet explaining about colposcopy. X

Hi, 

The reason they haven't given you any further information is because there isn't any more information to give you at the moment - that's why you've been sent for a colpscopy. A smear test is not a diagnostic tool - it can only detect whether cells in your cervix are normal (as they were for you last time) or abnormal (as they appear to be now). It cannot give any further information about the nature or cause of the abnormality. When you go for your colposcopy they will be able to get a really close look at the whole of your cervix and be able to ascertain the nature of the abnormality. If you've got mild changes (usually referred to as CIN 1) then they are most likely to just leave it and put you on more regular smear tests. This is because mild abnormalities often correct themselves within a few months, so they don't want to over-treat you. These changes tend to happen very very slowly, so there is no need to panic, and the fact that you had a normal smear test last time means you're unlikely to have anything seriously wrong with you this time. They're just doing this to protect you and look after you - to prevent anything serious happening in the future - so, although I know it's easier said than done, try not to worry. 

Love, Annabel. x