Conflicting results

Hi guys

The results of my original smear said high grade severe changes. The colposcopy nurse who examined me also thought high grade changes with further changes in the vagina so I am currently scheduled for lletz under GA on July 17th. However, on the phone the nurse has said the biopsy has shown CIN1, which conflicts the colposcopy doctor/nurse (I'm not sure who they were!) and the smear results, and that they are meeting soon to discuss the results. Has anyone else had this scenario? It seems really strange that biopsy results would be so different to smear and colposcopy exam!

thanks

Not much help.  

I never had a biopsy when I had colposcopy.. smear showed severe changes.  So at colposcopy they just looked, now scheduled for Lletz under GA on 7/7/17

Not sure, but I thought biopsy can really tell you grade of abnormal changes (CIN1, CIN2 or CIN3) as only this method takes and examins cells in laboratory. Colposcopy is only visual check and smear test cannot really say much about the changes. Thing is that even biopsy takes and examins small parts of changed area so it's never 100% accurate. I have had 2 samples with CIN1 and one with CIN2. That's why after treatment often they take removed tissue for another laboratory check. 

Thank you both for your replies! I hope the biopsy doesn't make them cancel lletz as now the results conflict I just want rid of them!

Hi,

I’m new to the forum. I am also confused by my experience. 12 months ago I had a smear which came back with high grade moderate dyskaryosis. I was sent for a colposcopy,( I fainted!) they took biopsies from two areas and showed me a diagram, the areas looked quite large. I fully expected to need treatment however, after a month I received a letter saying they had had an MDT meeting because of the conflicting results, my biopsy results came back as mild dyskaryosis. The decision was do nothing and repeat the smear in 12 months. So I had my repeat smear 4 weeks ago, result yesterday- high grade severe dyskaryosis! Awaiting appointment for colposcopy and probable removal of  abnormal cells! So why didn’t they remove them 12 months ago and how can it go from moderate to mild to severe? The nuclei don’t shrink then get bigger, ( the grade depends on how much of the cell is taken up by the nucleus, about 50% it’s moderate, around 75% or more, it’s severe). I’m  thinking cock up. I’m considering going private if I can afford it, I want them gone now, no more waiting to see what they do next. i thought these things took a long time to develop, I don’t think 12 months is long.