Confused by results!

Hi ladies, so i'm still just as confused, I received copies of the smear test and the Biopsy that was taken during the Colopscopy:

Smear - High grade Dyskaryosis, plus low grade and also groups of darker cells which can't rule out high grade

Punch biopsy - shows no demonstrable CIN or glandular atypia

Both were done on the same day by the same consultant, but could this mean she didn't biopsy the correct bit? is that a silly question.. I just can't see how they can both be so different and do I really need to have the cone biopsy, seems a bit extreme really considering i'm getting two different results and no CIN diagnosed...

Any thoughts? xx 

Hiya,

I have something similar - my smear 6 months ago showed HPV 16, mild dyskaryosis and CIN 1 at least. When the doctor looked during colposcopy he said it appeared to be CIN 2. Yet he took a biopsy and this was inconclusive.

This month I've had another smear, this time showing HPV 16 and moderate dyskaryosis. A biopsy was taken and the results were again inconclusive. The doctor recommended lletz due to the moderate dyskaryosis seen from the smear, and so I am not awaiting results from the lletz. Praying and hoping it's CIN at most and he got rid of it during the procedure.

I also can't understand how the biopsy can show no results when the smear is showing something. My doctor said that the reason for this could be that the affected cells are 'out of view', so picked up from a smear, but not from a biopsy. 

My doctor explained that the reason for the lletz was to remove what the smear is showing. He said if we look at the biopsy result alone then we might be missing cells that need to be treated, as the biopsy only looks at a small visible area.

Now I have to wait for the lletz results, which are either going to show CIN 1/2/3 and in this case hopefully all was removed. Alternatively if the lletz doesn't show anything conclusive then I'll have to have further tests :/ I hope this somewhat clears up your question - it's frustrating that each 'test' can provide a different result, makes it so confusing to know whats actually down there. I don't want to be having unneccesary treatment, but at the same time I don't want cells to be left untreated if they might turn into something else. 

What's the next step for you? Are you waiting for a cone biopsy now? xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
Awaiting results, due in 2 weeks

Hi Sophie, thanks for your reply! I'ts so confusing isn't it, I just wasn't sure if going through with the cone biopsy was the right thing for me to do. I know you have to listen to the professionals though! I'm having the cone biopsy on Friday, so I guess i'll just have to wait and see what the results of that this. Hopefully it's just a case of we've got rid of the cells and all ok come back in 6 months.

I wonder if it's to do with the HPV, I guess you can have cells changes due to the infection, which doesn't necessarily mean CIN (Pre-cancerous). Keep me posted on your results, and I hope they come back with positive results.

All the best

Gina xxx