Colposcopy recall anxiety

Hi apologies if this is not the right section to post this on but I am desperately seeking some advice in January i had a colposcopy following low grade /HPV result colposcopy went well they we’re confident low grade but took a biopsy however the result came back inadequate due to not enough cells in the sample I was told by letter to come back in a year for another colposcopy one well it’s nearing my follow up I am starting to get worried as I’m unable to find any one else who has had this experience a lot of other things I have read online says it should of been a 3 month recall? I suffer with anxiety as it is & am stating to really worry has anyone else had a similar experience or know more about how colposcopy recall works ?

Hi @Clh1991

Another sample definitely should have been taken within 3 months if the previous sample is inadequate, you should not have been put on a 12 month follow up… a biopsy is the only definitive way to grade the cells, when they grade them by eye they are making an educated guess at best as cells can looks worse/less than what they are by eye and smears are only an indicator rather than a diagnostic

I would maybe give your GP a call see if they can bring your smear forward… there does seem to have been an error when arranging your follow up xx

Hi thanks for your reply it’s not a smear it’s a colposcopy I am booked for in January :frowning: so worried about it I think il give the colposcopy department a call tomorrow I can’t understand why they said come back in a year if it was inadequate.

Apologies didnt have my glasses on i read it as ‘another smear’ for some reason LOL but any inadequate sample either with a smear sample or a biopsy it should be repeated within 3 months

Id definitely give them a call, not because i think there would be anything to worry about, as much as its an educated guess they can usually tell and low grade/CIN1 would have been left for the 12 months to regress on its own, but they should still be following the protocol guidelines xx

Absolutely no need to apologise thank you for your reassuring reply as they say a problem shared is a problem halved I might give a helpline a call nearer the time with it being so soon I doubt they will be able to bring if forward it’s my daughter’s birthday this week so just going to try to be positive & relax a little see how I feel in a few days might give the colposcopy department a call to explain more whatever I do I will update on here weather I get seen sooner or in January Il keep you all updated so you can know how it went hopefully I’f someone else comes here with the same questions too one day it might help.
Thank you kindly again

1 Like