Colposcopy next week

Hi. I had my latest smear and a week later received a letter saying I had HPV & high grade (severe) dyskaryosis. I'm booked in to have a colposcopy next week and I am terrified. 

ive tried not to google but I can't help it. I have 5 children, which I've found can put you at a greater risk of cervical cancer. 

ive also have 3 urine infections in the past 3 months, with which I've had urethral spasms. My last urine sample I gave though they said they found no infection (this was after I was 3 days in to antibiotics, which didn't help) 

I also have frequent lower tummy pain and back pain. 

im guessing with covid I will have to attend alone? I have severe anxiety and depression and this will also be the first time I've left my 9 month old breastfed baby. 

im a wreck I just don't know what to think. 

Hello,

Your emotions are completely valid and it is so common to feel this fear, and with Covid, not being able to take a support person is the extra layer of stress.

I went for my colposcopy two weeks ago, I'm away from all my family (Australian) and my boyfriend wasn't allowed to come with me. I was very anxious, but I can assure you, it was a very quick, professional experience and the nurses and doctors are aware of that people are feeling more anxious due to having to experience it alone. Everything I have read and from my experience, the medical professionals are extremely supportive and make you feel at ease.

There is no way to alleviate the stress and concern that comes along with this process. As humans we tend to immediately think worst case scenario, we google, we focus on the "what ifs". It's so important to distract yourself and think positive. 

I am now waiting on Cone Biopsy results and I can tell you it has been an absolute emotional rollercoaster for me but I have to keep shifting my emotions to think positively or you really will bog yourself down!

Goodluck and you will be fine!

jen xx

Thank you so much for replying. It's tomorrow morning and I've been keeping myself busy all day trying not to think about it but I am very nervous. The thing I'm most worried about is having a needles in my cervix for anaesthetic. 

Hope it went okay x