Colposcopy in the morning

Hi Ladies,

I am due to have my colposcopy tomorrow and I am a little nervous to say the least! I phoned the clinic beforehand she told me that no cancer could be seen on the smear results but they think that it may be CIN 3, iv read online that this is worse than CIN 1 & 2 and that it means the abnormal cells cover the majority of my cervix, is this true? If she told me they couldn’t see any cancer on my smear does this mean that I will probably just have the abnormal cells removed? I’m not sure what to expect I am only 25 and I don’t understand how I can have cin3 ‘high grade/severe’ whilst I am still this young and have only been allowed to have one smear, any advice will be greatly appreciated xx

Hi :) if your feeling nervous for tomorrow try to take a family member or friend I went with my fiancé and he helped distract me from what was going on but honestly it's not that bad i scared myself so much thinking I was going to be in agony but I wasn't! My smear came back with severe high grade cells too and was only on a small part of my cervix not the majority of it so don't worry, I am also 25 and I asked my doctor the same question and she told me that the cells if left alone could go back to CIN1 or CIN2 then back to CIN3 again but the reason they treat and remove these cells as they have no idea of knowing which cells will or won't develop in to cancer so it's best to remove and monitor them. Good luck with your colposcopy tomorrow and hopefully you have a good recovery if they treat you, make sure you take it easy I did and had no bleeding or infection and only had cramps for a few days :) xxx

Hi Kelly,

Please let us know how your colposcopy went? I am worried sick, had my results back from first ever smear - HPV+ and borderline change, didnt say what grade or anything. I am still waiting for my colposcopy app, but so worried and cant sleep. 

Good luck 

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your responses, so the colopscopy went much better than expected, a bit uncomfortable but nowhere near as horrific as i thought it was going to be! I am however still a little confused, she looked and said the examination has been unsatisfactory and showed me the image of a small white mark on my cervix which she said was the issue for this. She did the LLETZ and said it would be sent off for a biopsy, does this mean i deffo dont have cancer? Can the biopsy still come back and say i have cancer? Im just a bit worried about where i stand, i thought id have the cells removed and that would be the end of it! Does anyone know what the possible outcomes can be of the lab results? Thank you xx

Hi Kristina, i know how you feel! It is a very worrying time, my results came back as severe high grade and the nurse told me this was likely to be CIN3 so my understanding of it is that borderline may only be CIN1 or 2 and may not need treatment, but dont take my word as i do find the whole lot of this very confusing! Let us know how you get on and good luck xx