Colposcopy experience

Hi everyone 

I posted a few days back about my anxiety over having a colposcopy. I wanted to come back and tell my experience for anyone who is worried.

i received my abnormal results low grade with HPV a week ago today, Monday morning I had a letter for my colposcopy. the whole week I have been a nervous wreck One minute crying the next I was fine. I called my doctor who prescribed me diazepam and took that early this morning. 

My mum drove me to the hospital and as soon as we got there I broke down in the waiting room I felt so stupid but I think the whole anxiety all Week had just built up. I was called in straight away and had a consultation with the consultant Who was fabulous, she told me what would happen and I let her know my concerns about the biopsy she totally put me at ease and explained my results saying that even if my biopsy comes back as high grade they will treat it however it could take 10 years for these to turn cancerous. 

Next I went into the changing area to put a hospital gown on (i broke down again! It all felt very formal) into the clinic room and onto a chair similar to the dentist but you have stirups to put your legs onto i had two nurses with me who were fantastic and stood talking to me whilst the consultant was setting up the microscope. She had a good look first then time for the speculum. This felt no different for me to a smear, she then put a solution in which they said may sting but it didn’t I chose not to look at the screen due to my nerves but had a glance over and seen the White cells, I noticed the consultant nod to the nurse and knew this was the biopsy coming...she told me to do a really big cough and that was it! Didn’t even feel it and was so embarrassed about all the tears! She put some silver nitrate on to stop the bleeding and I received a leaflet about the procedure with dos and donts. I am the biggest whimp ever when it comes to things like this and it was so Straight forward I really hope my story helps ladies similar to me who are scared. It will take 4 weeks for my results however she believes it is low grade so fingers crossed! Xx

Ahh that’s exactly like my appointment with what she said 

im still waiting on my results but she believes it’s low grade as my HPV wasn’t as bad as what it shown on the smear

fingers crossed x

Hi. Had a biopsy done on tuesday but by the general demeanour of the doc i will def be back. I am so scared having to wait for results my nerves are completely shot. If she saw some thing would she have have let me go home.

So worried.

Sinead 

What did your doctor say? 

My consultant who carried it out didn’t say much just that it’s not cancer and she’s happy with how it looks but I obviously could still need treatment depending what CIN it comes back as. 

If they saw something concerning I’m sure they would have told you, hopefully you’re not waiting for your results for long x

Hi there, 

Rang my GP surgery as i did not get letter from them to let me know what my smear test results came back as. Turns out i have CIN3. So now waiting for Biopsy results from hospital. 

Worried Sick