Colposcopy + Biopsy waiting for results... very scared.

Hello.

I know there are a lot of women who are probably in the same situation but I would just like to get some advice.

I'm 29 years old and a few days ago I had a Colposcopy and Biopsy and am currently waiting for the results which I know will take a few weeks.

To say I'm terrified is an understatement. I suffer with anxiety as well, especially with my health  so it is definitly going to be a long wait.

To give you a bit of background, I have never missed a smear test since I've been able to have them, I've had a total of 3 so far, my first was clear but then it was last year where I was diagnosed with HPV but had no abnormal cells, I had a repeat one this year in the middle of May and it came back as positive again for HPV and low grade Dyskaryosis. 

I had my colposcopy done on 12th June and am waiting for the results. I know about the CIN grades but I am just terrified it is going to come back as the absolute worst or that I will cancer. 

My nurse who did the procedure told me she could see some changes and in her opinion she would think I would need treatment but could not be sure untill the results come back which I appreciate. 

Has anyone else been in this position? Or is in this position? Any advice would be appreciated x 

Hi friend! 

I was in the same boat just the other month. I had my very first abnormal PAP in February, colpo in May, LEEP just last Thursday. I'm 30 years old and was soooo confused why I was diagnosed with CIN 2/3 after having a normal PAP less than three years ago... and I always had regular PAPs!

As a fellow anxiety sufferer, I know how you're feeling. For me, I would feel better during the wait but get to feeling nervous again. Try not to think about the worst.. that's what I did too, but you know what? They did the LEEP and got ALL of it. 

You will be okay and will most certainly get through this!!

Really good to be able to share stories on here. I too am in the same boat. 
Colposcopist said she's convinced I have precancerous cells and did a biopsy. So I've got a telephone appointment booked for 4 weeks time. 

I'm over thinking everything she said now! Like why didn't she just do the LEEP there and then? And do they usually ring through your results? Or is it usually a letter? 

I'm just trying to district myself but end up keep thinking about it! 

Hope you get on ok ?

Hi!

Thank you so much for your reply! You have really helped!

That is exactly how I am! I feel better then get nervous all over again. 

How did you find the procedure? Were you shocked with the results and seen quite quickly?

I guess another worry is that now I know the HPV could still be active etc even after this it's hard not to think about it!

I'm glad you are all okay though! Such a scary time! 

Waiting is always the worst part, but try to distract yourself.  The fact that you have stayed current on your testing works in your favor for a good result.  Most people clear the HPV in two years and have no further problems. Even if you have a higher level of CIN, a LLETZ usually clears that right up with no problems.  It is quite uncommong to have more problems afterwards--it just seems common here because, well, this is where the people with the uncommon results find each other.  You are most likely going to clear this right up, but if you get scared about worst case scenarios and look around here at how well we are all doing, and we have all faced "the worst" in some way shape or form.

HPV does, however, remain in your body indefinitely, so you will always need to stay current on testing no matter what happens now. It can lay dormant a long time and then pop up to cause problems later, so be sure to keep taking care of your health.

Stay strong!  

Waiting is the worst.

Cervical cancer takes 10-2 years to develop and there are signs along the way. If your tests have been clear it just may be some recent changes. It may be just bad timing with this test date. It can clear up on its own too so just try to take it say by day

I had CIN 1 last year and waited 6 months to see if it would clear. They did a colposcopy and found it to be CIN 2. 

I had laser ablation, the least invasive procedure to get rid of the cells. I waited 6 months and recently had a follow up biopsy. All samples were normal and we're going to try to get pregnant now. I'll have a follow up again in 6 months.

It is a terrible wait but abnormal cells and these tests are really common. Don't worry too much. The best thing is that changes to cells happen frequently too so if you're in good health your body will regulate.

Please don't let fear and worst case scenario thinking in. Again, it is simple cell changes. If left untreated it could take up to 20 years to develop into cancer and probably not even then. You're getting tested and you're taking care of the situation. 

Let us know how the results are!! I'm here for you. 
It's the worst to wait but take a deep breathe. It will work out.

Tessa

I'm in a similar situation to you.  Had colposcopy on Friday, told abnormal cells present, they apparently looked 'low grade' however biopsy sent to confirm.  Now for the wait.  The colposcopist asked a couple of questions which made me more worried - asked if I normally bleed after intercourse, when I said no he asked if I was sure?  Told me I have a vascular cervix and bled a lot.  Also said he thinks I will need treatment but that this would be decided after biopsy result.  I found it difficult to take in everything that was being said as he spoke to me all the way through the procedure.  I also had a polyp removed that he found.  Really feel quite sick with worry. 

Hi,

I'm in the exacty same position as you!

I first had my smear test 3 years ago, which came back abnormal had a colposcopy with a 'see and treat' so local anaesthetic and LLETZ treatment. It came back CIN3 but they did get it all.

I am like you too, i suffer massively with health anxiety and i think it did start when it was due to this as the way the doctor explained it was that it was CIN,1,2,3 and cancer. So i thought i was going to get cancer...

Anyway fast forward to 3 years later, i've got a Copper IUD had no issues at all with it, periods always like clockwork. Now i noticed in February slight spotting inbetween periods and after intercourse. So i phoned my GP, they say me, did some swabs but the hospital wouldn't process them because of COVID-19, so i was referred for a colposcopy.

I've waited 7 weeks for the colp, but ever since i saw my GP i've bled every single day, but mainly when i go to the toilet, and it's fresh blood and a lot of it, it's been exhausting.  

Anyway i had the colposcopy yesterday, and they was lovely but, couldn't find my coil so had to open my cervix and look into my womb, they did my smear test and also took a punch biopsy as she found some abnormal cells. Just awaiting the results and got to go for a scan (to check on the position of the coil?) They didn't really explain.

Does anyone else get a lot of pain after a colposcopy? And feel really emotional, i felt ok yesterday apart from stomach cramps but i've been really teary today and the pain is coming in waves, and obviously the horrible discharge is awful. 

I've taken a few days off work, as i felt pants last time, but i'm dreading having to go back and have LLETZ treatment done, but obviously me being an anxious annie i'm starting to think what if it is cancer? As irregular bleeding is a symptom, but my nurse friend seems to think it could be some sort of erosion, but when i asked they wouldn't 'rule anything out'

I really hope the results come through fast, as i hate hate hate the waiting!

Feel for all you ladies, sending lots of love, its a stressful time at the best of times at the minute with COVID and now this..

Hi Megan46 have you had results back yet from the colposcopy?

Hi Ladies

Thank you for your comments. I had my letter Saturday to go in Wednesday to discuss the results. I am absolutely terrified and had the same results as you Megan. I wish they could just call you rather than write and make you go in. This is the worst thing I've ever had to go through and the waiting really is horrific. Anxiety is through the roof.

Megan how did your results go? X