Colposcopy and lletz

Hello everyone :) I have been lurking on this page for a couple of days and really need of some advice of any similar experiences. I am 24 and had my first smear 3 weeks ago, the result came back with high grade severe dyskaryosis and that I would need a colposcopy.

I had the colposcopy and biopsy on 8/3/18, the procedure itself was not too bad just uncomfortable. The nurse did not give me very much information except that she could see severe abnormal cells and would need to do a biopsy and lletz treatment there and then. Is it normal to have the lletz procedure without knowing the CIN or does this come after?

She also booked a telephone appointment for 27/3/18 with results. Is this normal? I could not help but think she knew something more but was reluctant to tell me.

Any similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :) x

Hi there, I'm 28 and high grade dyskariosis was found at my second smear. I had a colposcopy on 1/03/10, and after looking the Sister said that i would need a lletz procedure, she took samples for a biopsy anyway but made it clear id be back for the lletz whatever the results. the sister showed me that quite a lot of the surface of my cervix was covered (and this is probably why she couldn't do the procedure there and then).

The biopsy results came back yesterday, 13/03/18, CIN3 and I am booked in for the lletz on the 29/03/18, it will be carried out by a consultant and not a colposcopy nurse which I thought a bit strange.

I'm not an expert, but it seems that everyone has a different experience of the process. I think often if the area effected is relatively small they can carry out the lletz procedure there and then. it is possible that because you are so young the doctor may want to talk you through options. I asked about why they need to test the area removed during the lletz when they have already carried out a biopsy and was told it is because they need to ensure "clear margins" 

Sorry I can't be more authoritative. Hopefully I will be able to offer more information on the process followong my lettz and feedback from that. Fingers crossed you get that call very soon! Keep us posted! 

Best wishes, 

Elena x

Hi hun. Looks like i am abit like you. Unfortuntly i had my first ever smear taken a few weeks ago (and i have 4 lovely children) and it cane back abnormal.

Within a week of smear i had a letter to confirm they had reffared me to colposcopy and they would be intouch. Straight away i recieved a phone call from colposcopy with appointment.

I went on 8/3 (thursday) and when i was there they done colposcopy, biopsy and lletz treatment on me without much information. Other than the cells are abnormal and needed treatment staright away. They also asked me if i was finished my family and that the procedure would affect me being able to bear anymore children and to think about conterception. He also threw in there about if all cells hadnt all been removed or if it was to come back more radical surgery would be needed. Upsetting, i know.

It was quite bad and had to have 3 lots of injections to numb the area. The nurse after the procedure said that they took quite a large amount of my cervix away. Which im not quite happy about. 

To be honest i just feel this was all abit mad, i thought i would know the result before treatment. Maybe an option or at least abit more information as to what the cell changes were.

Im feeling extremly emotional and just waiting results. Im not quite sure whats going on and my doctor dosent seem to have any info on it either other that abnormal cells.

So today i am 6 days post lletz treatment. Am on my menstural cycle and just finding things very uncomfortable. Im not sure if i am much help to you, but it was just nice reading your post and knowing im not the only one.

Kat.x

Hi hun. Looks like i am abit like you. Unfortuntly i had my first ever smear taken a few weeks ago (and i have 4 lovely children) and it cane back abnormal.

Within a week of smear i had a letter to confirm they had reffared me to colposcopy and they would be intouch. Straight away i recieved a phone call from colposcopy with appointment.

I went on 8/3 (thursday) and when i was there they done colposcopy, biopsy and lletz treatment on me without much information. Other than the cells are abnormal and needed treatment staright away. They also asked me if i was finished my family and that the procedure would affect me being able to bear anymore children and to think about conterception. He also threw in there about if all cells hadnt all been removed or if it was to come back more radical surgery would be needed. Upsetting, i know.

It was quite bad and had to have 3 lots of injections to numb the area. The nurse after the procedure said that they took quite a large amount of my cervix away. Which im not quite happy about. 

To be honest i just feel this was all abit mad, i thought i would know the result before treatment. Maybe an option or at least abit more information as to what the cell changes were.

Im feeling extremly emotional and just waiting results. Im not quite sure whats going on and my doctor dosent seem to have any info on it either other that abnormal cells.

So today i am 6 days post lletz treatment. Am on my menstural cycle and just finding things very uncomfortable. Im not sure if i am much help to you, but it was just nice reading your post and knowing im not the only one.

Kat.x

Thank you ladies for your replies it has been a godsend finding this forum knowing I'm not in my own. 

I also had my colposcopy and lletz on the 8th. I am just a bit concerned how they booked me in for a phone appointment 18 days later with results when majority of posts I have seen seem to have received a letter. I did ring my gp surgery today to see if they had any information on the colposcopy itself but the receptionist wouldn't give me any information and said I'd need to book an appointment to get it, the next one being the first week in April so not much help there either.

It seems stupid but I don't think I realised the severity of it and I naively didnt ask a lot of questions as it was all abit rushed.

I know what you mean, I have wanted to do nothing but want to hide under a blanket but unfortunately 5 year olds don't let you do that.

I really hope you get the results you want, such a stressful time x

Hi, so i did get speaking to my doctor about my results. And as you cam imagine my head has been abit all over the place. It turns out that i had CIN3 from my smear. So now i can understand why i had to have treatment straight away. But without having this knowlage before my lettz treatment i was unable to ask the questions i have got on my head now.

But i can say love, i completly understand ur anxitiy about being called in for results, but it could be that they want to make sure they got it all. Or they may think there is somemore at the top end of ur cervix that they cant reach. 

But do bear in mind. That if it is cancer it is very slow growing. And they can remove it. For 10 days i have been so stressed out, but i do believe that we are our own co creaters, and if we turn this into a positive, being seen early and having treatment and now being on the system we can hold a healthy mind through all of this.

The good thing is you are goig to know your results without having to stress the whole 6-8 weeks. Take this time to write down any questions or fears you have, so you can bring them all up at this appointment. Its not having enough knowlage at these appoinments and not asking enough questions that make us stress more.

Please keep in touch and let me know how your appointment goes etc. And if you just need to chat this is a great place. Take care

I feel as though my life has been put into a whirlwind following abnormal glandular cells found during smears. Biopsy taken in Nov 17 to then be told in Jan 18 to consider a hysterectomy. I was taken into hospital on 16th March for a hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic. In actual fact had hysteroctomy, pipelle biopsies, lletz and loop canal biopsies. I was completely fine after procedure. Did not require pain relief. It just felt like having my period tbh. Worked the following week but started to feel unwell with a foul smelling black discharge. Doctor said I most likely had an infection and prescribed antibiotics. I have been in so much pain ever since and unable to work. Back pain so bad and weak, tired and dizzy. I thought i would feel better by now. Has anyone had these symptoms?  I have another 4 weeks to wait for results and really worried. I am normally a very active healthy person that runs and goes to the gym so not even being able to get out of bed to go to work is depressing. 

Dezzy, i just wanted to reply to you. Although i have not experenced most of what you have been though i do completly get the whole worldpool thing. Just before the results of abnormal smear i got ref to dermatology, i thought i had vulva cancer, still to get biopsy taken in two weeks as i was bleedig alittle at appointment. They believe it is melanosis but need to take biopsy to make sure.

I then recieved my first ever smear result (Cin3) and had colsoscopy on the 8th of this month. In between the smear result and lletz treatment i had a grand mal seizure, so i am waiting for neurologist appointment. Had ct scan and bloods last week. I just feel as if ive been hit hard all in one go. 

But i am trying to say as postive as i can, while hunting the net for infor in lletz, siezures and melanosis... crazy.

But do remember that you have been through alot mentally, emotionaly and physicaly, its going to take time. Try not too be too hard on yourself. If your not upfor work then just dont go. Our mental and physcial health is more important.

Hope you get your results soon hunni, waiting is the worst. Ive a few weeks to go before results back too... take care

Kat4235 Thank you for your response and yes you are correct waiting for the results is the worst. I feel as if my life is on a go slow right now. I do know that health comes first and everything else takes second stage. It is just hard to adapt so quickly but I am sure that I will get there as will you. One good thing about this is that you realise those people around you that are there to support you and those that are not. Hospital info you get is not great and relying on this forum and internet for info. I was just not prepared for any of this as I had no symptoms what so ever. 

Wishing you all the best and fingers crossed they get to the bottom of your seizures as that must be awful. Take care. x

Dezzy i know it is awful to have this all just thrown on us. With very little information about anything. And an extremly emotional time. 

I dont think the doctors realise just how much this affects us emotionaly and i guess some people around us dont realise it either. Its such a private and intimate area of our body and its hard to find people to understand that.

And in the way of symptoms i guess i never really had any my self, ive had other issues with my womb (endemistrious) sorry not great at spelling lol. But nothing i believe was due to the CIN3.

Im not 100% sure what your own personal procedure envolved but its great to chat to someone feeling as emotionaly crazy as me at this time. Lol.

I would just like to update and let yous know that i recieved my results of colsoscopy, lletz and biopsy. I got them through post today, not a very good explainition. But as expected on smear test it was CIN3, treatment should of been succesful and they will see me again in 6months for a follow up.

I am so glad to get these back as waiting the 3weeks and 2 days has been a nightmare. And i can now settle myself. Plus also makes me feel alot better about my soon to be biopsy for dermo, hopefull melanosis, as with the abnormal smear it was making me worried it is vulva cancer. 

So hopfully all my future results are going to be ok too. Take care girls. Hope yous get good news and hear back soon.