LLETZ - treatment or biopsy?

Hi all,

i had smear start go November which came back as HPV+ and severe cells.  and yesterday went for my Colposcopy appt.

I didn't find the doctor and nurses that friendly or reassuring, I know having face masks on impacts connection with people but I felt  was just in a conveyor belt and everything was matter of fact to them but it is all new to me ?

they said straight away that I needed LLETZ and they would do it then.  It was fine but I felt really uneasy asking any questions.

they said I get results in 3-4 weeks but also that it was a treatment to solve the issue.

my question is -  are they doing a biopsy to determine cancer and therefore next steps  or are they just sending off the biopsy for protocol and the LLETZ is all the treatment needed?   The way the doctor positioned it was they could see bad cells so a LLETZ is needed.  Hopefully that makes sense! 

Hey so this is called a "see and treat". If they see CIN 2/3 mostly they will see it and treat it there and then. They do the LLETZ to remove the affected area they can see under the colposcope. They send the specimen off to a) verify that it was what they suspected ie CIN1/2/3 and b) to make sure they achieved clear margins, meaning they want to see normal cervical cells on the edges of the sample indicating no abnormal cells where left behind. It is standard procedure for a LLETZ.

hope this makes sense :)

jen 

jen 

Thank you for your reply.  That makes complete sense when you word it like that.  Hoping for a clear margin result and the push it all to the back of my mind!  

stay safe xxx 

What JenJen87 said.

It's horrible. But there can be all sorts of abnormality before it's cancer, so hopefully they've dealt with it. But remember you're in a screening process and if there's anything to be found you really need them to find it so that it can be dealt with! Fingers crossed they got the problem. This waiting period is awful - your imagination runs away with you. I hope you get a really good result! 

I had a LEETZ nearly 3 weeks ago, got a call last Thursday they want me to come in to discuss results and further treatment options.  Wouldn't tell me anything over the phone and they can't see me till Friday so going out of my mind with worry

I had a LLetz treatment 2 weeks ago, they did it there and then but sent off for biopsy too! I've been called back in to go over results Monday! They would say anything over the phone which is normal I guess. I can't help but think bad news because they invited me in. At the same time they already did the treatment so is this just a 'your results show this so we made the right choice doing the treatment'. It's so hard not to worry and speculate :( any advice would be great

Hi, just wondering how those who got called in to discuss results are doing now?