CIN3 "May not be removed"

Hi ladies,

So it's been just over 5 weeks since my treatment and called the hospital last week to see if they had my results. The receptionist said consultant said it looked fine, all removed etc. And were just waiting for it to get signed off.

I got my letter today and I'm so confused. It says "the abnormality may not have been removed, this is not uncommon etc etc the diathermy treatment usually any remaining cells after treatment...the treatment is PROBABLY complete" and to book a smear in 6 months.

Has anyone else had a result like this? 

Xx

Hi - I think that this means they cannot confirm there are clear margins because the tissue was cauterized. This was my result too. Even if they cannot say they got everything in the actual tissue that was sent to the pathologist, the cautery could have still gotten the rest of the cells in your cervix; it's just that it's not tested as it's still inside you. Does that make sense? I had to do a 4 month colposcopy this week after my LEEP to see if they can see any remaining abnormal cells. Now I have to wait another 4 weeks for results.

Thank you so much for replying Nicki, it kind of makes sense now. Anyone I've said it to is brushing me off like "oh I'm sure they have to say that to cover themselves" but from what I can see most results have been one way or the other.. clear margins or no clear margins.

So you were told to go back in 4 months to check? Or did you ask to do it sooner than the 6 months? That wait of not 100% knowing seems like it will be pretty painful!

Not sure - I live in Canada so it could just be different. I also have adenocarcinoma in situ (or CGIN in the uk) so they may have wanted me back earlier since it's not as straight forward as the squamous type of cell. This next time he told me to book a follow up for 4-6 months, unless the results come back needing more treatment. Trying to stay positive and hope for good news though.