Very confused - can anyone help?

Hi ladies,

I'm new on this forum - I've been reading a few posts for a couple of weeks but decided to sign up.  I wonder if anyone can shed any light on my situation for me as I'm quite confused!

Following 2 abnormal smears (Dec 11 and another July 12) I got called for a colposcopy appointment in July 12.  I went along, they had a quick look and decided yes I needed treatment, to which I postponed for 6 weeks as I was due to get married and go on honeymoon (they were fine with this and encouraged me to do so!)

I had my appointment in Sept 12 whereby I had the diathermy (LLETZ) treatment with a local injection.  All was fine, didn't feel a thing, was lucky had no bleeding afterwards.  Had the odd twinge of pain but nothing major.

After waiting 8 weeks for my results (I had to call to chase them!) I had a letter to say ".... they'd removed areas amounting CIN3, with no evidence of cancer. ..... there was some evidence of changes at the edge of the sample which they hope would've been destroyed by the diathermy that they use to stop bleeding after treatment...."

I've now got a 6 month call back to the clinic but I'm abit nervous - will they be doing the same treatment again?  Or just a smear or....?  

Every time I try and call the clinic, there's no doctors available or when I asked my GP, she was pretty useless too!  I'm 30 so nervous over how this will effect my ability with having children as this is something we're considering but of course not sure how long I'll be needing treatment etc.

Can anyone help or explain anything?  I'm not really clued up even on the CIN gradings either? 

TIA

Hi Zebby,

I'm in a somewhat similar situation (although my results were CIN 2) my letter stated that the abnormality extended to the edge of the biopsied area etc. Basically, this means that it went to the edge of what they took off, but the instrument they use to take the sample destroys cells on the edge of the area they test,and also destroys some cells left on your cervix. Also, the diathermy they use to stop the bleeding destroyes some additional cells so the chances of anything being left are minimal (i thnk the official stats are something like 5% of people who have LLETZ will need a further treatment, although I don't find this very comforting when you consider only like 10% of women who have a smear need treatment anyway..but thats just me in my grumpy moments!). 

My repeat appointment is at my GP rather than the clinic (6 month following treatment will be in March, so I'm going to book it after my next period. Joy. I've never worried about periods and cervixes and stuff before....lol I'm bricking it!), but from what I understand as your results were CIN 3 and your margins weren't clear thats why they want you back at the clinic. My friend had the same thing. They'll do the colposcopy again so take a smear, and put the solutions onto your cervix just to check everything has been removed (so what you're aiming for on the big screen is no white bits I think).

I hope this helps a bit - think positive thoughts (easy to say, harder to do, I still can't sleep sometimes with the 'what if's...') and let us know how you get on xx x x x x

Hi becky,

Thanks for replying - that's helped alot thank you! You've cleared up what's been a mystery to me for weeks and without the medical terms to mind boggle.

I'm still quite scared being CIN3 as I know this to be on the top of the scale but here's hoping for a more positive outcome from my next appointment.  I've got to go in 2 weeks time - eeek!

Really hope I don't have to go through it again, I don't think my husband was best impressed having to avoid me for a month like last time lol. not how I imagined the start of married life! I know shouldn't joke about it but its a way to deal with the worrying, which I'm normally doing!

Hey Zebby and Becky!

I have to go back for my check up in about 1 months time so we can all hold each others hands! As I went privately they like to do a four month one instead of six for some reason!

Zebby I am completely with you regarding the general CIN3 worry and the children aspect. I would really like to start trying in a year or so but am scared of the cells returning and having further treatment. I was lucky and had clear margins but it does seem that unclear margins are quite common on here and most people seem to have a clear smear afterwards as the loop destroys the surrouding cells. 

Wishing you lots of luck - let us know how you get on 

Oh and Becky I am totally with you on the "what ifs" at night!! 

Cat xx 

Hi ladies,

Well I survived my check up appointment that I went for today :)  

They had a check, the lady was very nice and said she couldn't see anything obvious (unlike prior to my treatment the first time I went!) so just took a routine smear.  From poking about, she aggrevated the bit of my cervix where they removed cells last time so only a couple of bleeding spots which nothing to worry about.

She's requested a HPV test on my smear so I should find out whether that's been the possible cause.  Either way, I should get the results in 6 to 8 weeks - FINGERS CROSSED!!

If it comes back a mild result or higher, then I'll have to go back and discuss treatment again.  If I'm HPV positive, then I'll remain on 6 monthly smears for a few years at least she said Undecided

Hi Zebby!

It's so nice to see someone go for their check up and report back :) I'm glad everything went ok!!! If she couldn't see anything obvious at your colp. that sounds like potentially brilliant news (I know when I had my treatment done and she showed me my cervix in widescreen (joy!) most of it looked a strange white colour (bad cells) with only a few bits of pink - so yours must have looked all pink :) I'm very jealous lol (never thought I'd be jealous of a cervix...) 

Fingers crossed for good results and HPV negative! I guess even if you do end up being HPV positive that they'll just keep an eye on you for a while until the virus offs itself (they might HPV test every smear and then send you back to 1/3 yearly once it's gone). 

So pleased for you :) x

Hi Zebby!

It's so nice to see someone go for their check up and report back :) I'm glad everything went ok!!! If she couldn't see anything obvious at your colp. that sounds like potentially brilliant news (I know when I had my treatment done and she showed me my cervix in widescreen (joy!) most of it looked a strange white colour (bad cells) with only a few bits of pink - so yours must have looked all pink :) I'm very jealous lol (never thought I'd be jealous of a cervix...) 

Fingers crossed for good results and HPV negative! I guess even if you do end up being HPV positive that they'll just keep an eye on you for a while until the virus offs itself (they might HPV test every smear and then send you back to 1/3 yearly once it's gone). 

So pleased for you :) x