CIN 1 HPV

Hi there

Last Christmas I had an abnormal smear and had to go have a colposcopy which ended up by me having a biopsy.

It came back with CIN1 and HPV - I was hysterical, mainly because I didn't understand what it meant and the hospital sent me lots of leaflets on cervical cancer.

I recently went back for my 6 month check up and had another colposcopy - and nothing has changed - its still there!! No change and again no treatment - been told to wait another 6 months for another colposcopy and smear.

I hate this waiting! I am literally waiting for the pre-cancerous cells to get worse so they can treat it.

I know that its good that it is a slow progressing cell change but I do not like the wait.  I can't seem to stop worrying.

I think it's just not nice not being in control and having to be told to wait till it progresses - which apparently it will because of the HPV.

Just wanted to know there are others out there and feel the same :)

Hi I didn't have cin1 but cin 3 but from all the reading I have done I think cin1 can heal it self but can tAke upto 2 years I don't know about hpv tho sorry not much help but I recon the docs just want see if your body will heal it before they give you surgery just my opinion please keep us informed sending u hugs xxxx

I had my first abnormal pap smear about ten years ago, showing HPV. After having 6 monthly smear tests for 2 years it cleared up without any treatment. It all started again 3 years ago and I ended up having a Lletz procedure in April last year. At my 6 month check up all was good, but after the next one I have cin 1 changes again. Does anyone know if it's common to have these changes again after the Lletz? And what is next, in a treatment sense.

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're in this situation and can relate to your concerns. It;s awful to think the CIN is there and that they are leaving it. I understand what a nightamre it is. With HPV the changes are less likely to go back to normal, but because they can in theory (and in many ladies do) they tend to leave the CIN1 for a while. If after a couple of years or so it's still there then they will often remove it. The waiting is no joke though, it feels like waiting for things to get worse.

I've had abnormal results since LLETZ in 2011 and my recent smear showed mild changes are still there wiith HPV. I'm waiting for a hopsital appoinment and hope they will remove the CIN because I really don't think it'll go away by itself.

Hope that you're doing ok, take care x

I had hpv and cin 1 last august, am due back at the hospital next Tuesday 9/9/14, am actually quite scared, and most of the post i have read from people with the same have been having 6 monthly check ups, am now concerned that mine has been over a year!! Trying to stay positive 

I today have had my biopsy results I have CIN 1 hpv and afew other big words chucked around as doctor didn't have everything he needed to fill me,also told my left ovary is showing polysistic ovary syndrome,also told the hospital will be sending me a letter to say what's going to happen with my follow up treatment and care plan,This is coming after a smear test two weeks before showed normal cells,luckily I had been been on the two week referral for signs of cancer and having scans and colposopy done thirst results came through,luckily I had that done or none of these would have been found and left until next my next smear in so many years time.im already sterilised as I have children,just unsure ignore what will happen next with all of this as again told to await letter from hospital x