Cell changes on recent smear test

I know I may sound dramatic but I am in tears writing this.

A bit if background - I had a test around 10 years ago where it showed hpv and cell changes. I was then referred for a colposcopy. They then told me whilst in the room that this was CIN3 - I did not receive anything in the post. They said treatment would be offered if cell changes didn’t go back to normal. I then had a follow up test about 3 months later where it showed that this had gone back to normal.

Fast forward to now - I only had another smear test in February. I know this is silly but I went through something really traumatic and the thought of someone being down there was sending me into a spiral. I had my results back and they say they have detected HPV and there are high risk cell changes. I am kicking myself for not going sooner but I felt I couldn’t physically.

I have lots of questions about my previous test now. Can CIN3 actually return to normal? Is it normal for them to not actually send result back then? I already have health anxiety so it’s absolutely terrifying me and I have now convinced myself this is it.

I feel like it’s going to be a very unsettled few weeks, it’s been about 24 hours since I got my results and I feel like I can’t eat or sleep or concentrate on work. I really wish my brain wasn’t like this.

Any reassurance is welcomed.

TIA :blush:

1 Like

I wish I could help you stop feeling like you do right now, but just know I’ve felt the same and managed to calm down eventually as the days went by. It’s a rollercoaster but you do have the strength within you to get through this awful challenging time you have ahead of you.

With regards the CIN, I’m surprised they didn’t treat CIN3 cells at the time, but online it does suggest they can go back to normal in some cases but that usually they’re treated and not left to wait and see otherwise. Are you in the UK?

I had CIN3 twice within four years (treated both times with LLetz, once they were detected at colposcopy and no letter) the last occurrence was 2016. Never had HPV detected tho bizarrely.

I want to let you know I’ve had something awful happen to and am petrified of the whole shebang down there, and massive health anxiety which I’ve also asked the GP for some support with. Perhaps you could ask for some more support as well? I was given diazepam for a recent gynae appt.

I have faith that as the days go by you will start to eat a little more and sleep a little better and you will be able to put it further to the back of your mind. Please come on here as much as you need to :heart:

Apparently a third of cin3 cases regress to normal cells! Please don’t beat yourself up about doing anything wrong by not going back sooner!

Thank you so much for your reply. There’s some reassurance that I am not going through this alone as awful as it is for everyone.

I’m finding when I’m distracted I feel okay but as soon as I’m alone with my thoughts I start to spiral.

It’s silly as I don’t remember being that worried at the time but I can’t control what happens from here on out.

Again thank you for your reply. I really wish you all the best in your journey as well :slight_smile:

1 Like