Bowels

All

I had open cut radical hysterectomy and lymph nodes removal last Monday. Bowls been working fine since day 3/4 but the last 2 days the pain is incredible...worse than the surgery pain. I'm not constipated and stools are soft and you. Even wind passing does the same. It Just when it gets near the end the pain starts. Will this settle? Is it just bruising/swelling? Xx

Could it be wind? I've read that ladies get really bad wind after surgery. Peppermint tea or buscopan? 

Hi Amie,

I'd second the peppermint tea. I'm still drinking 2/3 cups a day 3 weeks in. I also found going for a wee at least every 3/4 hours for the first couple of weeks (getting up in the night as well if needed) helped. I'm not sure if you properly feel your bladder when it's full initially. Also the act of walking to the loo and sitting on the lhrone often shifted wind I wasn't aware of (tmi I know!).  
Much love. Xx

It's def not wind...It's when I open my bowels or wind passes through. It only comes on when I go to the toilet...It's as it passes the last part and exits (sorry tmi)  And literally started 2 days ago. I've not been constipated it done it when I had runny stools  too...It's worse than a contraction lol! Just wondered if it might be bruising or swelling from op and where things are returning to normal. I ended up taking dyhydracodiene last night which i was gutted as only been on paracetamol and ibuprofen since day 4 as pain management been good. I'll just keep eye on it and see if it gets better over coming days 

Thanks for replies smile

Ax

Hi

From my own experience, an anal fissure can be very painful during a bowel motion.  I had a pre existing small fissure prior to my treatment and it became more of a problem following my cc treatment bearing in mind I had a RH as well as chemo-radio.  I think your pain is worth mentioning to your onc team or your GP, especially if it doesn't get better soon.

x

I am day five after the same surgery and my BM have not started yet but man oh man has the gas. And I read your post and thought yes! Every time I pass gas I hurt exactly where you describe. So I don't know what exactly it is hurting but it hurts on me, too. And just like you I had to take a steonger pain killer tonight for it even though all day I had managed fine on something light. Hope you are feeling better and hope this helps!