14days post radical hysterectomy constipation

14 days ago I had radical hysterectomy due to CC. The thing is I have severe constipation and on a lot of discomfort. I have not taken any pain killer for the last few days to eliminate that. When I had surgery my consultant did say she burnt my bowel with the hot rod due keyhole, she did stitch it up and said everything should be ok. I've only had a little amount of bowel movement. Can anybody recommend anything? Shotting pains in my bottom are killing, bringing me to tears. Helppppp :-(

Hi Kelly

I would advise giving your CNS a ring in the morning - they would be best to advise you what to take for it.  Hope you get sorted soon, constipation can be very painful.

Hugs, Cheryl,xx

Hi Cheryl 

I will give them a call. It's so painful! Never had it before :-( Thank for your reply. :-)

Hi, you must be so uncomfortable! I also suffered with this post op. Give your gp a call, they will be able to give you some glycerine suppositories or send a district nurse to you to perform a 'mini enema'. The suppositories did the trick for me and made me feel so much better. Good luck!! Jade x

I would also phone up. Like jade i had the glycerine suppositories and they worked for me. I really do feel for you hun but you have got the op out of the way . The roadto recovery is slow. Love lea xx

1st of all I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you both. I can't seem to find a steady balance... I'm either bunged up or very very loose. I haven't had any pain killer or others meds now for 5 days so I thought things would be getting better!! I sick of having ducolax and other laxatives. I haven't been again for 4 days. I'm so worried because join my op my consultant burnt my bowels and I'm hoping this isn't now an ongoing problem I'm going to have! I'm going to the doctors on Tuesday as I need something to empty me properly! Thank for you messages. I always find this site useful. X

Hi Kelly - big sympathy. I suffered terribly with constipation after the op for the first couple of weeks. I swore I would never take a normal bowel movement for granted should I ever have one again at the time. It was awful, I remember sobbing in pain on the loo and going to the out of hours clinic and begging doctor with the biggest hands in the world to give me an enema (he did after having a good rummage about, but it didn't work).

I got there in the end though and it was advice from my CNS actioned by my GP that did the trick. If what you've been given isn't working, ask to try something else. For me it was a combination of prescription laxative Movicol (also called Laxido) combined with a stool softener that finally shifted things. Heaven.

can't say you'll look back on this and laugh, but I promise it won't last forever. hugs xxx

Rosehip, Thank you so much for your message. I still struggling very badly with my BM nothing is working. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow an I'm not leaving until I have been given a cocktail if drugs to have a good empty. I can't push or strain my body won't allow me even if I wanted to. I have never had bowel problems in my life and like you said I will never look back and laugh I will probably cry thinking of the pain. I will have smypathy with anyone now having gone through this ordeal. Thank you for your advise! A still very constipated Kelly xxx

Hi there,

I'm almost 4 months post op and am also suffering from constipation. I seem to not go for 3 or 4 days then when I start I can't stop. It's horrible. I also have piles and now an anal tear from straining. I have found dried figs as good as anything to try and get things moving.

This is going to sound really, really grim but I have been in so much pain trying to pass a stool that I have run 4 or 5 inches of warm water in the bath and shat in the bath. Only on here would I admit to that publically!

Hi there,

I'm almost 4 months post op and am also suffering from constipation. I seem to not go for 3 or 4 days then when I start I can't stop. It's horrible. I also have piles and now an anal tear from straining. I have found dried figs as good as anything to try and get things moving.

This is going to sound really, really grim but I have been in so much pain trying to pass a stool that I have run 4 or 5 inches of warm water in the bath and shat in the bath. Only on here would I admit to that publically!

Oh no 365days that's sounds bad. My body will not let me strain or push anything so my poo actually get stuck and I do have to get tissue to remove it from my bottom. I have my consultant meetin in a few days so I'm hoping I can talk about this and they can give me something to help me. X I might try son fig tho. Up to try anything. Although I do have to draw the line at pooing in the bath. Hope things get better for you soon x

Hi all. Constipation has been an ongoing theme for me. I found movicol and ducolax helped in a crisis. I have a cream called proctosedyl that I squirt I into my back passage to numb the pain.....it really helps if you use it regularly. I try to styick with a low fibre diet and lots of fluid obviously. Also good old prune juice, its quite expensive but it absolutely works. I keep a record so I don't let it slip for more than a few days. The things we have to put up with!