Constipation pains!

Hello lovely ladies,

Just wanted some reassurance really that this is all normal
I’m 3 weeks post radical hysterectomy, was recovering well, but these past 2 days, the constipation pains have become unreal!
I have been going every day although not enough to feel comfortable and I’ve had piles which doesn’t help. But the pain now spreads rights across my stomach, lower back and legs!
I absolutely hate going to the Gp as mine are awful and make you feel like a criminal for daring to book an appointment! So I wanted to see if anyone had any tried and tested remedies!
Ps am also finding it hard to sleep at night, but think this is the emotional side of it all catching up with me!
Thanks in advance! X

The pain from constipation is my ever lasting memory of recovering from the surgery but I just hoped it would go away, sadly no. I had to get lactulose, senna and laxidose sachets from the gp. Other things i tried licorice, prunes and figs. You can get over the counter stuff from chemist but make sure first and foremost you are drinking plenty water. Have a word with a pharmacist if you dont want to go to gp. Good luck its not fun

also the sleep thing I think is normal, you've been on a rollercoaster ride and it will take a while. Try listening to some minfulness music on youtube when you are trying to sleep it helps calm your mind down. Also practise controlling your breathing. Its the only thing that got me through for months. 

Dont take any crap from your gp or the gp receptionist you have been through a tremendous amount and who are they to treat anyone like that. I am lucky my gp is wonderful. Can you change to another practice?

Good luck xxx

Hi Laura 

lots of water! Lots of fiber! But the big thing is defiantly taking your time. Bring a book and breathe deeply into your stomach. You really have to relax your inner sphincter. It will also help if you apply some Vaseline on yourself so as not to hurt yourself more when you go. Piles do really hurt and pushing will aggravate them more. Have a hot bath before you go. I agree with pp about listening to some soft classical or reiki music at night as this does help so much!!! Constipation is really horrible but if you don't put to much stress on yourself it will come around. I was taking stool softeners like popcorn after I had a c-section. I had piles from the explosive diarrhea when in treatment. My bowels have been through hell the last year  

Good luck and easy pooping!!!

Thanks for your advise ladies!! 

I have just moved so am registering with a new gp as we speak! They do seem more helpful so once I'm registered I will go and see them!

I think it's Also because I'm so used to running around with my 3 yr old and child-minding, that before by 10pm I would just collapse in bed! 

X

Hi Laura :-)

Do not take crap from your GPs practice. Yes if you are in UK they are horribly over-stretched but it's not as though you are making a fuss over a common cold now is it. Stand up for yourself. Remind the receptionist that you are a cancer patient, you are still recoveing from an incredibly invasive operation and how would she like to go through all that and then be treated the way she is treating you. That might wake her up!

And I agree with Amythyst - over-the counter lactulose and gentle walks should get things moving along nicely :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thanks Tivoli for your encouragement, I'm going to man up and book an appointment! You're right I more than deserve to see someone if I'm not feeling right! X