Biopsy taken

Hi, 

Today I had a colposcopy and also a biopsy taken. I have HPV which the doctor has said has turned a small patch of the cells to "abnormal" ... she said the size of her fingernail is the size of the abnormal cells and where is the virus is.

I'm awaiting a letter for my results... but I am very nervous. If it was worse wouldn't they of taken action immediately like the letter stated ? Would they be able to recognise if it was cancer there and then? 

Also, how will I know how long I've had HPV for and how long will it last for ? If they do have to laser the cells and I still have HPV.. will I develop more ?

Thank you and sorry for some many questions :( 

Joss xx

Hi Joss,

Wondering how you are going and if you have received your results?

I am in a similar situation to you and have hr HPV and had my colposcopy today and the gynecologist said that the abnormal cells are the size of about 1cm.

I don't think they will conclusively say whether it is cancer or not. I asked whether they thought mine was already cancer and they said they didn't think so, but it looks high grade and will likely need letz treatment.

I think the laser is effective and treats most cases but I have the same questions as you in regards to whether the HPV will clear. Or will I just continue to need ongoing treatment?

I hope you are okay! And you have some answers about your results.

Thanks,

Jess.

Hi Joss, I had a colposocopy + LLETZ the week before you and it took a week to get my results back. Unfortunately it was cancer - they were aware of this on the day of my procedure, however wanted to tell me this the following week when my husband and a Macmillan nurse were present. Am hoping all went okay for you, and if it wasn't the news that you were hoping for that you are getting the support that you need. With best wishes X

Hi Joss, 

I know exactly how you are feeling right now, i've been through it. Nothing anyone can say will make you feel better, you're so wrapped up in your own thoughts you can't focus on anything else and you're thinking "why me?". I did my first smear test when i was 25, my first ever one and i thought it would be a breeze. It's always uncomfortable letting a Nurse do what they have to do but every woman goes through it. I recieved my letter 3 weeks later to say i had HPV and abnormal changes to my cells. Straight away, tears, panic and stress took over! I felt worried, i've never been through this before and i didn't know what a Colposcopy was either! I googled and googled and googled. Typical girl. I needed to see what is what and i was going to be ok, but in all honestly it made me feel worse. I was seeing things that i probably didn't need to see. Everyone's story and body is different. I had a bioposy taken and i got told to wait up to 4 weeks for a letter through the post. More waiting! In two weeks i recieved my results to say that i had mild form of HPV and NO ABNORMAL CELLS had been found. Sometimes the biopsy can take away the calls or your body can naturally clear them up. It's a strange one but i just want you to know that just because a biopsy was taken, does not mean you will need to have any cells removed - it's more of a precaution and it's a good thing for them to do just to be that extra safe! I don't need to go back for a smear for another 3 years and it was such a big relief off of my shoulders and it will be for you. Whatever happens, you are in safe hands and you a strong enough woman to get through anything. Please, dont worry! 

Meera xx