Anxiously awaiting smear results

Hi everyone,

I have been visiting this site for a couple of months now as I anxiously await my smear results, but unsure if I should post anything as I haven’t had any diagnosis, so feel a bit of a fraud. I’m in central Scotland and am currently in week 8 of awaiting results. Contacted my GP twice but nothing so far.

I had a routine smear in Oct ‘21 which came back high risk HPV+ but no cell changes. At the time, the nurse said that I had cervical erosion and quite a bit of bleeding while conduction the test.

Since then, I have had continuous yellow/green discharge (which 3 lots of metronidazole didn’t shift), pain during intercourse, incredibly heavy and long lasting periods ( changing super pads hourly and lasting 9 days), slight incontinence as not making it to the loo on time and an aching pain every few weeks down my right leg.

At my recent smear, the nurse spent around 5 minutes looking at my cervix, moving the speculum up and down, before taking the swab. Again she said that I had significant erosion and was referring my to gynaecology.

I had pre-cancerous cells removed 20 years ago and all smears had been clear until last year.

I’m driving myself mad with worry and can’t seem to talk to anyone about it. My husband is very supportive but also very pragmatic and not one for worrying unless there’s something to worry about.

Sorry for the super long post……just wondering if anyone else is in a similar position??

Thanks xx

Still awaiting smear results. Called doctor today but they haven’t had any word. 9 weeks in and symptoms still there.

Enduring another awful period, 9 days early and currently on day 6 and passing clots the size of my palm.

Has anyone had any similar symptoms? Any advice graty received!

Xx

I don’t have a whole lot of advice. Other than I’m going through the same thing right now. I got my smear results back and there were high grade cell changes. Now I have to wait a month and a half for a colposcopy and I have been catastrophizing and thinking the worst. I have been bleeding with massive clots to. I just wanted to say I’m sorry your going through this. I find it best to take everything one day at a time, that’s all we can do. I know it’s hard not to worry, but worrying won’t change the results and it will just make you feel ill. I hope everything turns out ok with your results.

1 Like

@Maxpower thank you so much for replying. It’s a little comforting to know I’m not the only one with these types of symptoms. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had changes, can only imagine how you’re feeling. The waiting is awful but you’re right about worrying not changing anything. I can distract myself from it during the day, then spend most of the night awake and thinking the what if’s!

I hope the next few weeks go by quickly for you and that you get results back from that quickly xx

@Becs84 the waiting seems to be the worst. I think even if it’s not a good diagnosis that at least I will finally know what’s wrong with me and get on with treatment. I hope you are doing ok, and if you need anyone to talk to just message me. I am.more than happy to be here for people to vent to.

1 Like

@Maxpower yeh I get that, knowing what you’re dealing with can give you some direction. I’m still waiting on my results. Feel a bit daft as I’m anxious over nothing yet but definitely feel something is t right and waiting nearly 10 weeks is making it worse.

Thank you so much, feels better just talking to someone who understands!

What dod they say the yellowy green discharge is as HPV cause no symptoms i have been told
X

Hi Patty, they didn’t! No sign of infection either so I’m totally unsure.

Since last post, I’ve had my smear results. The showed still HPV+ with cell changes. No other details and said I’d be called for Colposcopy. That was 11 weeks ago. Still not heard a peep. No appointment through, nothing. Going mad not knowing! That’s been since November!

Others seem to have more detail of what the changes are prior to coloscopy……not sure if it’s a Scotland thing where they don’t tell you any specifics except ‘changes’! Any ideas?