Anxious son

Hi everyone. I am Lawrence from the Philippines. I have been reading posts in this site since August of last year. My mom was diagnosed with Cervical CA Stage 2a (no lymph node involvement). She’s now down to her last 3 radiation therapies and 2 chemos, then we’ll proceed to brachy.

May I know, and pls pls share some info to me if you know anyone, if stage 2a has a good prognosis? My mom’s just 61 yrs old and healthy. I know it’s different with each cases, but I was thinking if all these treatments can *possibly* cure her? I have been trying to be strong, but sometimes the negative thoughts overwhelm me. 

Yes, definitely curable and hopefully she can put all this behind her.  Sounds like she has done really well and what a nice son you are!

Hi Lawrence

How kind and supportive you are to you mum. Im sure we all understand the feelings of overwhelming thoughts you are having, it’s great that your mum is healthy and doing well with treatment. I am a later stage 2 patient, stage 2b and my team talk cure to me so definitely curable. Good luck to you both 

I have been reading all your comments/posts ever since I knew about Jo’s Trust! Thank you so much for replying to me. May I ask if the new squamous cell tumour they saw was a recurrence? I am so, so afraid of recurrence for my mom. But I know we really cannot control it. It may come back and it may not. :(

Hello there!! Thanks for replying. How long have you been out of the treatments? And may I ask whatbyour treatments were? Thank you!!

Hi, I am just over 3 months out of treatment and I have 25 radiotherapy, 4 chemo and 2 x Brachytherapy. I was very tired during treatment but found it manageable. How is your mum feeling? Please give her my best wishes 

She’s tired as well, but to be honest she’s handled the whole treatments really great. :) If you dont mind, what size was your tumour? My mom’s is 4cm. Also, have you gotten the “all clear” already and NED? after the brachy, when is the next scan to know if you are really NED? Sorry for asking too much. 

That’s great that she is coping well with the treatment. Scans in the UK are usually at Brachytherapy for planning purposes, 3 months post treatment then several at 3 monthly intervals. My tumour was larger 7cm and has shown a good treatment response with just a small amount remaining - we have to be patient I believe with post treatment scanning as some ladies get the NED at 3 months yet some take a little longer, some excellent success stories on here for stage 2 with ladies doing great many, many years post treatment. 

I have read your previous posts and I remembered you were worried last year about the tumour still being there even after all the treatments. How was it now? 

I have yet to read many posts here that talk about survival and good prognosis for 2a or stage 2 in general. If you can suggest what to search, kindly let me know. Thank you so much!

Hi. I am nearly 3 years post treatment from stage 4a cc with a 7cm tumour.

All my scans post treatment have been NED.

Most people who have been cured by the treatment don't post on the forums as once they are cured they understandably want to get on with life and forget about this awful time in their life. 

Statistics that you read today will be people who completed their treatment at least five years ago and treatment has significantly improved since then. 

Hopefully your mum will find the treatment very manageable and be able to put this all behind her x

Thank you so much for replying. You are an inspiration and I am so glad that you were able to beat it. Hope you stay healthy!!

It’s just hard for me I guess, reading all the posts about recurrences. But I know it is normal for people who undergo diseases like this to feel that way. Just hoping and praying that my mom would beat cancer’s butt.