AGC & Negative HPV

Hi All,

Last year, my smear test came back as ASCUS and HPV positive. I had the colposcopy done and was found to have CIN 1 and repeat pap in 1 year. Fast forward 1 year to now and I have just got my results back. I have been told I have Atypical Glandular Cells and negative HPV results (thank God). 

My question is, has anybody had this before? If I don't have HPV, what is causing the AGC? I have also had changes in my period, they are now 11 days. I had an ultrasound done and nothing abnormal was found. 

I have read that I will now go for another colpo, but I am not sure what will happen during the colpo this time. 

Thanks for any advice/information! 

Hello Sultana.

I went through something similar. 

I had ASCUS followed by Colposcopy and LEEP, which revealed CIN2-3.

2 years later, after clear smear, HPV tests, colpo's and so on, my smear came back AGC - borderline changes, NEG for HPV.

I had clear colpos, no HPV and clear ECC. Because of my history, and I was given the choice by the gyno, I got a cone biopsy (performed with cold needle, not a loop-thing to preserve edges). I also had D&C, hysteroscopy and another ECC.

All came back clear. :)

Since then I had neg HPV (5 months post op), then clear smear, clear colposcopy and ECC (11 months post op), and now recently 2 months ago, I had clear colposcopy, clear punch biopsies and clear ECC.

When I got the AGC result I researched a lot. And I mean A LOT.

Most follow ups after AGC reveal benign/normal findings. The majority of abnormalities that are found are oddly enough CIN1-3. 

A negative HPV result at the time og your AGC lowers the chance of something being abnormal even more.

My biopsy from the cone after AGC revealed something called TEM-cells, tubendometrioid cells. These are cells that sometimes generate after cervical surgery or biopsies. TEM-cells can cause a "false" positive AGC. There are articles about this.