Advice

Hi all, 

Hoping for some advice as I'm a little worried. Went to see the doctor after bleeding during sex and she said my cervix didnt look quite right and wanted to send me for a colposcopy. She said she didnt think it was cancer due to a clear smear 2 years ago but the referral i've been sent is about cervical cancer, so not really sure what to think. 

I had no evidence of ectropion, which is what she suspected when I had a telephone consult but there are white patches on my cervix

Can you only be seen for a colposcopy due to suspected cancer?

I had an endemitrioma a few years ago, so not sure if this could be related.

Thanks

No you have a colpscopy for all kinds of abnormality. Your smear would hopefully have picked up cancer cells if they were there. You can have "abnormal" cells that aren't cancer too. I just had a colposcopy because my smear found HVP infection and abnormal cells. I also had a LLETZ procedure which involves taking away some of the tissue either to remove abnormality and/or to do a biopsy and find out more fully what's going on. 

You're in a screening process to catch anything hopefully before it becomes cancer - it takes time for cancer to develop so if your smear two years ago was clear that's probably why the dr thinks it's unlikely now. 

However your imagination has little interest in logic and I guess it's running amok just now frightening you - but take heart - it sounds like they've picked this up very early so whatever it is hopefully it'll be simple to deal with. Fingers crossed for you. You're in the right place too to ask questions and  offload your anxiety and the info on this site is really helpful too. Good luck with it and come back if you've got more worries or questions xxxx

i have been told i have a white area on my cervix aswell have coloscopy , biopsie and scan next week. Do you have your app yet. Xxx