Biopsy taken at Colposcopy but normal smear tests

Hi,

I’m feeling confused and overwhelmed after my colposcopy appointment. A little background, I have had 3 HPV + smears but no abnormal cells found. I was referred to a colposcopy due to recurring HPV. The colposcopy wasn’t painful, but after they added the liquid a white patch showed up and 1 punch biopsy was taken. I asked the Dr what this meant and she mentioned either the HPV cells were just showing up or pre-cancerous cells. She did say my cervix looks normal but that didn’t give me much peace.

I have a while to wait for the biopsy results and I am already finding it difficult, has anyone else had this experience? Is it possible that something was missed during my smear test? Or could it just be the HPV showing up? I just need to find anyone who can relate to what I am going through because googling has proved difficult and isn’t really helping. Thank you x

Hi nessa
I completely understand your worries so I won’t try telling you not to worry. I will try and put your mind at ease, my smear came back hpv positive and abnormal cells last year, I had a endometrial womb biopsy that came back normal. This year still hpv positive and I’ve had two lots of lletz treatments (as my abnormal cells showing on smear were from inside the cervix) and both these lletz biopsy’s came back as no cgin/cin changes. At my two colpscopys this year both times in my notes the drs noted actowhite areas but both times this has resulted in no precancerous changes from the lletz biopsy’s. I did have a large ectropian not sure how to spell it (which is just a result of taking birth control for so long) so I’m not sure if this effected it but this would have been removed by the second time so I’m not sure why they noted white areas still. I read somewhere about the quickness of the change in colour and the brightness of the white is a sign of the worser cell changes so there must be something else that can still make these white patches show. Try to keep positive I think they are extra precautions in place if you are hpv positive after so many years they make sure biopsy’s are done just to make sure. I hope your not waiting too long for your results xx

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me, that did give me some ease. I’m glad you had a good outcome, as this whole process is very draining. I understand with the extra precautions given the 3x HPV so thanks for reminding me. I hope I’m not waiting too long either xx

2 Likes

Any news Nessa? Hope you’re well otherwise x