Advice please

Hi just looking for reassurance really. I am 24 years old. Iv had a number of smears done and only ever had one normal the rest has been abnormal. I first had my cells burnt away when I was 20 and Iv had to have them burnt away 3 weeks ago at the age of 24 again just waiting on biopsy results. I’m now testing positive for HPV any advice I’m on young and had my cells burnt away twice don’t want to keep going through it I’m worried every day and it’s playing on my mind. Thank you

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear you're feelng so anxious about your results. I can totally understand where you are coming from! It's really horrible waiting for results, especially when you've had to already go through getting treatment for abdnormal cells in the past. I went through similar with abnormal results on and off but they've only just decided to have my cells lasered off as its reached a higher grade of CIN. 

The only thing I can say to reassure you is that you're/we're still young, so these changing cells are something which is actually very commonplace for anyone under the age of 25. Hence why a lot of the time they just dont bother to remove them, as its better to let the cervix to do its thing and hopefully resolve the cells. HPV obviously is a factor, and as its a virus it can lay dormant for a while, suddenly appearing positive when its active. It sounds like they decided to laser your cells at a young age because the results showed CIN3, so they probably thought it was just best to nip it in the bud. It doesnt necessarily mean that these cells would have went on to become something dangerous, it just means that the doctors didnt want to wait around for your cervix to do its job.

I know its really hard not to worry, seeing as you've had to get cells burnt away twice, but trust that theres many of other women in the same boat. A friend of my mum has had recurring cell issues for years and years now, on and off and being treated. It just appears to be something she is predisposed to unfortunately. She has 3 lovely children despite it all and is in perfect health otherwise!

Hopefully these next results will put your mind at a bit of ease and heres hoping your next smear shows up all clear :) Best of luck xo 

Still haven't received results I rang the hospital last week and they said that the results are still in the lab and haven't been looked at yet. Think it's taking the mick really