Abnormal results, need colposcopy. Advice please?

I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I went for my first smear last month, I’m 27 & have one child

I have received a letter a few days ago explaining that I have borderline cervical cell changes & there is a sign of a HPV infection. I have been given an appointment to have a colposcopy in a months time.

I didn’t even know what HPV was until now, I recently learned this is a common virus but can actually lead to cervical cancer if untreated.
I’ve also read that the body usually rids the virus on its own over a couple of years for the majority of people & also that the majority of people do not need any treatment & are just closely monitored with more frequent smear tests.

Am I right about this? I’ve read so much conflicting information the past couple of days & am very confused about how serious this could be.

If I do have a HPV infection then why hasn’t my body cleared it. I am a very healthy person & although I am cross with myself for putting off my smear appointment (as I did have a couple of letters previous to this) I did not expect these results at all!!

I am panicking having read so many different articles & horror stories about all of this (which I know isn’t the best idea) & the treatments I may need.
What is really troubling me is my Mother told me today that my Grandmother had cervical cancer many years ago when she was in only her late 30s, she went for a routine doctors appointment I believe & was told that the cancer was already developed with no previous warnings & she had to have a hysterectomy.

I am so worried that I have to wait a whole month for this colposcopy.
Please could anyone going through or who has already gone through this respond please with your advice?

Thank you xxx

I recently went through what you are going through. I had not had a smear in 8 years and my results showed high grade changes. I was terrified and felt incredibly stupid for waiting so long. I had my colposcopy and loop excision under general anesthesia and would not even have known I had anything done either time if not for the bleeding those procedures can cause. I have had friends who had to have colposcopies and no treatment. Please try not to worry yourself even though I know it is hard not to. Nothing is going to happen to you in that month other than the stress of waiting. Also, do not read things on the internet. This is the first time I have told anyone my story because it's really not that exciting. You are much more likely to tell everyone when you've had a terrible experience than when it was fine or ok. It is the same with this. It wasn't pleasant (is taking your pants off for an exam ever pleasant?) but it wasn't bad. It won't be fun, but you will probably be able to think of hundreds of worse things you've experienced once this is over.

yeah try not to worry I only found out my results last Thursday which were abnormal results low grade Dyskaryosis and high HPV. I'm still waiting on my hospital appointment they said it will be classed as emergency but I will wait and see. Heard some people wait 10 days or longer. Try and stay positive and to not overthink things. Have you had any symptoms? Im suffering from really bad stomach pains and tiredness.

I have had awful periods for the past 2 years which have progressively become unbearable, so I went to the doctor & went on the pill to help improve them. She also booked my smear test appt at the same time. 

I've also had severe lower back pain for the past couple of months which comes & goes. It's like a deep dull ache. It's worrying me now I have these results that it could be associated to it because back pain isn't something I've ever experienced in the past until recently & it doesnt feel normal to hurt this much.

I'm trying not to worry but I hate not knowing & having to wait.  

Xx 

Thank you for your advice it was really helpful. How long did you have to wait for the results of your colposcopy? and to have the surgery afterward? 

Im trying not to worry it's just the waiting that is going to be difficult x 

Hi Jennifer,

sorry you've found yourself here. It really is so upsetting & confusing when you receive an abnormal result. the waiting for appointments & results is the worse part of the process mainly because our minds are almost preprogrammed to think the worse. There are many ladies on here that have a borderline result & never needed treatment as sometimes our bodies need a little longer and clearing the hpv virus than others. There are some ladies that have needed treatment (usually a lletz) but I have never heard of anyone having a borderline/ low grade result and going on to be diagnosed with cc. There is no evidence at all with cc being linked with genetics or being heriditary. There is also no symptoms with having hpv or cell changes- only with cancer. visit Your gp if you're worried about any of the symptoms. I had a low grade result a year ago, had a colposcopy & biopsy- I can't say the experience was enjoyable and just like everyone, all I thought was the worse. they will not treat low grade or borderline changes as such a high percentage of women clear it without any inference needed (I'm hoping this will be the case with myself). Wishing you lots of luck. X

Everything was done within the span of a month. I think the results from each took about a week. Remember that more often than not the smear gives them a pretty good idea of what they are deaing with and the colposcopy typically confirms it. You are noticing every pain and ache right now because this is on your mind constantly. Please don't think it is indicative of something sinister because in all likelihood, it's not related to your abnormalities. I had pelvic pain so bad I could barely walk and that was what sent me to the doctor. It turned out to be a muscle injury related to an increase in exercise.

Previously the back pain only occurred as part of my menstrual cramps but now it's almost a daily occurrence. I will be mentioning it again to the doctor at my next appt. 

Do you have the results back from your treatment yet? And how often is it you have check ups now? 

Thank you for posting.

I am confused about the HPV.. Why my body hasnt cleared it because I do believe I have a very strong immune system, I very rarely get sick or even get colds or anything like that. And I work with babies & pre school children who always have viruses etc. 

Do you now have more regular check ups after your colposcopy? 

Thank you 

I think we are just the unlucky ones :( I read a really interesting article recently about hpv- it said that it generally takes 8-15 months for it to clear from your system (so it may be a case that we had our smear test as it was clearing) and that the reason they don't test women under 25 as they would pratically all be positive for hpv and it would cause unnecessary stress and occasionally unnecessary treatment for the woman. I've tried to go on a super health kick this last year & hoping when my results return it will pay off. 

I'm on yearly smears. It's the watch & wait approach (sometimes wish they would of treated it and then I'd know I'm free of any abnormality). Xxx

I've definitely had the HPV longer than 15 months, about 18-19, so hopefully it's clearing as we speak. I also read that we can have it in our bodies for many years & never clear it unless we have the treatment. 

Im doing the same thing, I'm pretty healthy & don't smoke (which I read increases the risks) but I'm going to try & do as much as I can to build up my immune system, don't know if it will work but fingers crossed. I can't bear the thought of having any treatment.. or worse. I just want this problem gone. 

I will definitely want to have yearly smears after all this. On another forum post on here a girl said she waited for 3 years for a follow up smear & it ended up developing into cancer for her :( 

Good luck with your results I hope it's good news xx