5 weeks and no results - Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi everyone

In March 2021 I tested positive for HPV and CIN1. I then had my follow up smear 5 weeks ago, but I haven’t yet received my results, and the length of time is making me exceptionally anxious. The nurse who did my smear said it would take approx 2 weeks and I should call to chase up if I hadn’t heard in 4 weeks, but I don’t want to have a discussion with the receptionist as they can be very vague which will lead to sleepless nights. Has anyone else waited this long? I’m guessing that HPV is still present which has led to further testing of cells, which would explain the waiting time. The nurse also told me I had an ectropian cervix (which has never been mentioned before) and this has also led to concern that she’s mistaken and it could be something more sinister.

I’d appreciate any feedback, experience or just a chat - as you can probably tell, my mind is spinning and i’m in a state of feeling like i can’t look forward to anything until i know what i’m dealing with.

I should also mention that i’m visiting my doctor tomorrow to have my coil removed after 6 months - too much bleeding and pain (uterine biopsy was taken and a scan given and no abnormalities). So i could have a chat with her but i thought i should message on here to see if any reassurance or experience would prevent another sleepless night.

Thank you

I’m in Scotland and I waited 7 weeks for recent results. You are right saying the longer it takes the more likely it is you have HPV as the HPV results themselves take only a few days.

I have no HPV just now but abnormal cells are still there so heading back to colposcopy.

Hi @Storm1 I had a letter yesterday to say no HPV but insufficient sample of cells to check cell changes so another smear required.

If im in the same position as you, and still habe abnormal cells (CIN1 last year) then im assuming ill be called ack for a colposcopy again too.

Hope yours goes ok :blush:

Im in Glasgow. It took 6 weeks for me to get my results. High risk Hpv positive with abnormal cell changes. Said i should receive my colposcopy appointment within 8 weeks. However after 4 weeks i received a further letter to say that due to covid and an increase in referrals it could be up to a 30 week wait for an appointment.

My smear test wasnt just the routine one. I had contacted my GP due to abnormal bleeding, pain during sex and pelvic pain. So i contacted the GP again to discuss the wait time. They chased the clinic and now have an appointment on the 14th.

Ive had abnormal cells removed in the past but it just feels more intense this time. Symptoms feel much worse than ever before. Think the fact that im a mum now just heightens the fear.

I hope you get your results soon :pray: xx

1 Like