1st smear and curious !

Hi

I went for my first cervical screening the other day as I was bleeding after sex so my gp sent me for a colposcopy. The Dr tok a biopsy and told me I should also go to the sexual health clinic because he said he had found a wart on my cervix. Has anyone else had this? I’m wondering why he has asked me to go as surely they test for that kind of thing in the lab? He did said hed removed it too so what will the nurse at the sexual health clinic do that the colposcopy dr can’t? Also I have been with my partner nearly 2 years and I’ve never had anytging before! will he need to be tested too? I have an appt next week and then still another 3 weeks for my results from the biopsy. I’m pretty worried about it! Has anyone else had this before?

Thanks in advance

Hi L1991 

Genitial warts are usually caused by a strain of hpv virus, which is essentially a STI but it's super common. Most sexually active people will have atleast one type of hpv virus at some point. Some cause warts, some don't. Most people's immune systems manage to clear the virus on their own (90% of the time) and to my knowledge I don't think the is a type of medicine that gets rid of hpv like there is for say clymadia (antobiotics), it's just a case waiting for the body to clear it. 

Possibly he is sending you there as a precaution to ensure you're totally checked out for anything else. But if you know you haven't got anything else like that I'm not sure:S as i don't think there would be anything they could do for you there in terms of hpv, or your bf too. Best to go any ways and follow his advice, they know best after all! 

I hope everything goes ok with your results xxx