HPV info and advice please

Hi, I have just been for my Colposcopy and has a biopsy sent off after recieving a positive result to HPV and abnormal cells after my recent smear.

I have had a mix of emotions,  and am trying not to worry too much before I get my results back. 

I am also struggling to understand exactly what HPV is - when I received my initial results I felt disgusting, like I had transmitted an STI? Yet I have never until now heard of HPV? I am 28 years old and can’t believe there is such little awareness of it? Or have I simply been ignorant to it? Does anyone know the liklihood of getting warts? And how long does the virus take to clear from your body? 

Many info / advice would be much appreciated, 

thank you in advance 

Hi

I felt the same as you, getting the HPV diagnosis was scary and confusing and when looking online there just wasn't enough information. I went to my doctors and asked if I should be worried about my BF of 8 years and she just said not to worry about it now and focus on your screenings. That's because that's all the help you can get from Doctors and hospitals, they only test for it when doing cervical screenings and anal screenings for gay men. So they have nothing else to say, and I found that pattern all across the internet.

HPV is extremely common, the most common STI. There are many different strains - some cause gential warts and some cause pre-cancerus lesions. A lot of people never have symptoms or know they have it because the body's immune system clears it, but when it persists it can create changes.

You can also get oral HPV. I now practise safer sex.

You can get a private vaccine at places like Boots. Its expensive and can't clear what you already have but can give you peace of mind for the future. 

The best thing to do is boost your immune system. I went vegan and take supplements to support. I went a bit mad on research haha but my advice would be get plenty of vitamins and minerals into your system everyday! And light exercise!

Your doctors will take care of you and treat any abnormal cells if necesary, you just take care of you. Stress makes it worse

Good luck :)

Jodie x