Worrying from colposcopy

Hi,

I went for my routine smear and received the letter stating hpv was detected along with abnormal cells and I had to go for a colposcopy . First thing I done, was hysterically phone my mum then Google cervical cancer. Please if you haven’t been for your appointment, get off Google as it does not help, it left me unable to sleep. They had an appointment for 7 days after and after I googled I convinced myself they were putting me in for an urgent referral.

I went and the staff could not have been nicer. The doctor advised they aren’t looking for cancer, they are looking to prevent it. That sentence alone filled me with some ease. She explained these are microcells and they are looking to get rid.

I went in and had the colposcopy and was told I needed a biopsy. Now after googling, I thought this meant a biopsy was to find out how far gone the cancer was… oncoming hysterical breakdown 2 all whilst my legs were ajar in front of the doctor. The doctor said she wasn’t putting an urgent referral on it but could take up to 6 weeks. I deal with anxiety so I was convinced I needed a full hysterectomy (after googling) before I even had kids. It was 6 weeks on the dot that I was advised it wasn’t cancer thankfully and CIN abnormal cells which were to be removed.

this is amazing news and I could not be more relieved but the point in this post is, I had every step in the process that could hint to cancer according to everything I googled and it’s came back clear. Googling does no favours so please try not to worry. I’m open to chat to anyone who needs it.

6 Likes

Hi im hoping someone may be able to give me a bit of information here. I had my smere in June. Ive just received my results saying i will be asked to go for a colposcopy as i tested high risk for hpv and they noticed changes in my cells. Im 32 i have one daughter already and been with my partner just under a year. Im so confused what this means and Google is freaking me out… am i infected? What dose this all mean. Thanks x

1 Like

Hi,

Honestly Stephie please don’t Google. I made myself ill doing it. The doctor told me that they are doing this to prevent it leading to cancer. I’m here on this if you need to chat at any point, I’ll try my best to get back to you as soon as I can x

2 Likes

Ok im glad they are doing something now before anything progresses im so nervous about the exam i was scared get the smere done. Also this hole hpv thing is really making me worry. Ive never known anything about it before, i didnt even know what it was. Dose this make me infectious to my partner? This may sound crazy but i feel like im a infection or something :cry: its very scary just getting a random letter weeks after your exam saying “yeah your high hpv and your cells are changing you will get a letter with an appointment” i burst out crying and as soon as i googled hpv it was all about std’s so i just felt like dirty or infected x

1 Like

Thank you i know this could be absolutely nothing i just overthink really bad with this things x

1 Like

Don’t worry, I felt the exact same googling. If the letter you received had a number on it for the colposcopy unit, maybe give them a phone just to give you peace of mind. I believe hpv is fairly common nowadays which is why smears have been put in place more frequently but I’m not 100% clued up. I’m an overthinker too and googling did not help as you just see the negatives. My appointment to clear the abnormal cells is in a week so I’m going to find out a bit more then! Keep talking in here if it calms you down, I desperately needed someone to vent to at times and forums helped x

3 Likes

Please don’t see HPV as an STD and in the same camp at all.

The majority of the population will get HPV at some point in their lives, it’s incredibly prevalent. And it’s harmless to most people too with their body clearing the virus naturally.

Here’s a great post from the Jo’s website about why we need to stop using the STD label…https://www.jostrust.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blog/blog/why-need-ditch-STI-label-hpv

The Jo’s website is also a good source of information for what the hospital means with some of its terms in its letters. Better to have a good rummage through the Jo’s site as Google can definitely make you feel more anxious and uncertain.

The main thing too is that the hospital have caught it…whether it’s just HPV at this stage, whether it’s cell changes, or maybe something else…and that means it can be dealt with. I know it can feel very worrying and overwhelming but that’s a really good thing to keep in your mind.

Xx

4 Likes

Thank yous so much for your help and support i think im going to call them tomorrow and just explain im very anxious ect so maybe could they explain things to me. i take medication to help my anxiety but its really not doing to much with this situation. Thank you all so much im so greatful to hear others fedback. Yeah i felt dirty like i had a std or something so ill defo go give that a read. X

1 Like

Its really routine, i know its difficult and feels so scary, your mind goes to the worst place but try not to worry. The colposcopy will take a closer look at the abnormal cells under a microscope, and they may decide to remove them there and then with a procedure called Lletz. They may do a biopsy and send it off and they will check the margins of what has been removed to check its all gone. Pre cancerous cells are graded CIN 1,2,3. If its level 1 or 2 rhey may leave them and you will go back in 6 months. I had CIN 3 (high grade, severe) 7 years ago, they were removed and no problems since touch wood. My body also then cleared the hpv virus. The language around it all sounds scary, but its likely to be a very routine procedure. I was sorted in 20 minutes xxx

3 Likes