Anxious and a bit lost!

Hi, firstly thanks for all who have posted on here, it’s been so helpful to read some of the posts and see Women all supporting each other. I got the results from my smear test over Christmas, hpv positive and moderate grade changes to the cells. They have done a referral for the colposcopy. I haven’t got the appointment letter yet but I am assuming this happens in a letter following on from the results letter? Does anyone know when to expect this appointment letter usually?

I am going into overdrive googling what cell changes mean and how likely it is that I might have cancer. I am driving myself mad with worry. I think just the waiting and not having anyone with this experience to talk to is difficult so I just wondered if anyone had any advice (apart from probably to stop googling!)

Thanks ladies xxx

1 Like

Hi @RebeccaF

My colposcopy appointment letter arrived not long after my smear results (also moderate changes), I think somewhere between 1-2 weeks and my appointment was around 2 weeks after that again, so you should hopefully get yours sometime soon.

I promise you’re not alone in feeling this way, I’ve had 2 colposcopies and 1 LLETZ and honestly found the waiting and worrying far worse than the actual tests and treatment. I totally agree with you, my family has been so supportive but it can be hard not to feel alone. I’ve actually found far more comfort in reading advice from women on this website who have been through it all themselves (definitely avoid google!)

The important thing to remember is that cell changes are not cancer, nor do they indicate that you will develop cancer. In a lot of cases low/moderate changes can clear on their own. Sometimes they are a bit more stubborn and will need treatment. Either way in the majority of cases they are nothing to worry about and easily resolved. I was given the option of waiting or having treatment, and chose treatment purely because I wanted to stop stressing over it!

Take care
Xx

2 Likes

Thanks so much Hol for your reply. I have found the women’s responses on this forum the reassuring and really supportive. It’s been really helpful to be able to get other womens experiences with colposcopies. I think that is the worst bit the waiting and not being able to speak to a doctor or nurse about your anxieties.

I guess all i can do is stop googling and just wait to have the colposcopy and see what comes of it. It is really helpful to know that in most cases it is preventative as I think minds can always think the worst.

Glad that you’re doing all good and thanks again.
Xxx

1 Like

Hi
This time last year i had colos and LLETZ treatment after positive HPV & high grade cell changes were found from a Nov smear test.

Like most i was so anxious as immediate response was fear of cancer . I found changing diet, overdosing on immune boosting foods, changing to less stressful job, and joining a training/exercise team helped my mental health and wellbeing.

Test of cure 6 months later , in June 2021, results were no abnormal cells and HPV clear.
Im not sure how much changes in lifestyle impacted on result, but i felt better emotionally for it.

Things can turn around, which i would not have believed if not for my accessing others sharing experiences on here and having experienced it myself.

Good luck :revolving_hearts: xx

4 Likes

Thank you Glenda, really appreciate your response. It’s helpful to know that they can just treat the cells and you can make a full recovery. The kind just goes to the worst place but I know I just need to wait and have the colposcopy l. I’m going to try and put it to the back of my mind until the colposcopy appointment.

It is so nice to hear your story and that you are doing well. I love the idea of a less stressful job! And I have already looked into recommended things to eat and

2 Likes

Hi … just so worried I’m in my 50 s always had smears done . Last one was Hpv positive and Borderline changes … iv been with my partner for years so this is a horrible shock,it does make you feel ashamed and nobody talks about it. Does anyone know whether the menopause can have anything to do with it? Also I’m now worried sick about all the others cancers that are related to it . So worried not sleeping .

Hello Peterpan15
I can recommend calling the Jo’s Trust helpline for information and support. You are not alone. A lot of women on here have had a similar experience of shock and anxiety when diagnosed. Did you know that 80% of the population contract HPV early in life and that most people clear it within 2 years but it remains dormant in the body and can reactivate in times of stress or when our immune system is challenged; the menopause makes our immune systems weaker? Did you also know that the cervical screening programme in England switched to HPV testing in about 2018? So quite a few women on here have had the same shock as you, myself included. I have now got my head around it all and realised that whilst it has been a scary experience the screening system is designed to identify and monitor those at risk of developing cell changes so that they can be treated early to prevent cancer developing. It is to minimise your risk of developing cancer. What I also realised was that it is important for all women to be aware of gynaecological symptoms which are not normal so that they can get symptoms checked asap even in between screenings. The Ask the Expert section on here may help you. Also the book The Gynae Geek. Our generation were not informed about HPV - the vaccine offered to young people now before they become sexually active has been very successful in reducing CC rates in the younger generations - because they have the vaccine and because education may have improved since our day they may know more than our generation. Also loads of women have abnormal screenings but no one talks about it. You are not alone. Big hugs and hope you feel better soon A x

Hi. Can I add my thoughts - just diagnosed also hpv positive. Just hit perimenopaus apparently, as recent blood test was low on progesterone. “Apparently” , according to Dr. Google, this can aid cervical cancer, (just as high estrogen can aid breast cancer) I’m not a Dr, this is just what info I’ve found on Google. Why do so many women have hpv flare up around menopause? Maybe balancing hormones could go someway towards an answer? And stress aids to create cells. Stress produces cortisol, which means less progesterone is then produced. I’m no doctor, but I find the holistic approach interesting. Do wish more info on vits, hormones and hpv was more widely researched and available to all.

Hi Good health, I am in the same position as you. In the perimenopause and just tested positive for hpv. It is such a shock especially as I have been married for over 25 years. I too have so many questions but there doesn’t seem to be as many answers. It is also tricky as some of the symptoms are similar to peri menopause symptoms

I am taking Ahcc and trying to live as healthily as possible and of course hoping for the best.

Hi ChocCake
Can I ask where you can buy AHcc please? Thx

I get it from Time health. It’s not cheap though. I take 5 tablets a day.
It’s not got a 100% success rate but I think it has helped some people.