Worried it could be worse

Hi everyone,
I’ve been lurking for about a month now but i feel need some advice.
This site has been brilliant even just to put my mind at ease and answer questions.
So here the info.
Went for a smear in April and it came back inconclusive and to wait three months. Panicked as i had bleeding after sex and back pain,even bled through the test… spoke to the doctor and nurse and said i was worried about cervical cancer and both said its fine and just wait 3 months, so i paid to see a private doctor, she said pretty much the same and if there was any concern i would have been called in for a colcospy, but she sent me for an internal scan just to make sure, which came back all clear. (I was starting to feel like a hypochondriac)
3 months later had another smear,after the nurse made me do a std test as that explains most cases of bleeding, that was a tense week I’ve been with my husband for 17 years, and had a std test before we met. He would have had some serious explaining to do, anyway that came back clear but the results for the smear meant i was put on urgent referral.
Colcospy biopies came back as cin3 and severe cgin. The consultant booked me in for lletz under ga before the results came back, as he had to take it to the mdt,but didn’t want to wait, although he said he would never say it 100 per cent doesn’t look like cancer, but it just looks like abnormal cells… It turns out i had to have lletz, extended lletz and a endometrial biopsy under ga. I think they have taken alot, i have since found out I’ve got a stitch holding whats left of my cervix together.
10 days after the operation (tuesday) i was called to discuss the results.(the endrimetral biopsy if fine) but They found 1a1 (2.5mm) where the cin was but its incomplete and the cgin is incomplete as well. I’m booked in for a mri on monday and then they will take it to mdt meeting to discuss the best treatment.
My minds in overdrive at the moment, I’m going from its early stage and treatable to what happens if its just the edge they found and there is worse there.
I’m really grateful for the hospital i know this is all being dealt with extremely quickly everything is on a 2 week referral so i haven’t got as much of a agonising wait as some of you ladies have. But my anxiety is through the roof some days and others I’m “its fine and treatable” its such a rollercoaster.
I’m angry at myself for not going for a smear sooner but also at the doctors for dismissing the problems i was having, i never go to the doctors and i know that the chances are this was all there when i went for the first smear in april, so it wouldn’t have changed anything but i just wish it was spotted sooner.
I convinced myself that it was cancer because of the symptoms, so its not as much of a shock as i thought it would be but I’m finding it hard to except it’s early stage. What are the chances of finding out it’s worse when i have that done as the cancerous area was incomplete? The rational part of my brain is saying surely anything larger would have shown up on the private internal scan i had back in june?
Also i know the treatment is pretty much depends on the mri and the mdt but my consultant seems to be more worried about my fertility, before the operation he was warning me that it will shorten my cervix and if i wanted more children he would put a stitch in, (which he did)i said i didn’t i laughed and said I’m very much done, I’m 41, my husband is 57 we have 5 children, (3 are biologically mine) and 3 grandkids. So thats not a worry for me, but when we were discussing treatment for the 1a1 he said he could remove the cervix (sorry couldn’t remember the name of the operation) so i could still have children at a later date, or have another lletz. But as I’ve had so much removed already and its all still incomplete what are the chances of being able to get it all with more lletz, wouldn’t it be better to just remove everything? I know a hysterectomy is a major operation but what are the benefits of keeping my womb when i dont want anymore children? Without sounding trying to sound like the childcatcher from chitty chitty bang bang, (i love my kids to bits)i don’t want anymore, so its not a hard decision for me that some of you ladies have had to face. My heart goes out to the ones it has. xx
So after that ridiculously long rant what my questions are.
I’ve never had a mri before, or know much about them but will it show where all the cancer is? (Terrified its in other places they haven’t managed to remove)
Whats the more beneficial operation to go with? A hysterectomy or just removing the cervix (is it and easier recovery, less trauma to the body or are there any chances of the abnormal cells remaining in whats left behind)

I feel silly asking on here and it should of been the questions i asked the consultant but on the day i didn’t think of them.
Thanks so much for listening to me rant.xx

Hi…
I completely understand your worries and i am in a very similar position to you. I had my smear 3 years ago which believe it or not was completely negative including for hpv. This years smear came back as abnormal and off i went for letz. I was then advised that the results were cancer had been found with no clear margins. The initial grading was 1A2. I went for my MRI yesterday and results are next week folliowng MDT meeting where i get to know the treatment.

Im no expert but i did ask your question about MRI. I was advised it will show info about what is left of the initial cancer and also if it has spread to other areas. In particular the lymph nodes and that if there was any sign this had happened i would need a pet scan for more detail. I cant really comment on the treatment options you asked about as whilst ive read about all the different treatments ive been told everything is still on the table until they know the details from the MRI.

Personally i feel i have a reasonable knowledge of treatments and what side effects are and will now wait to see what is proposed before looking into them further.

I really do know how you feel. The waiting is so hard and im spending most of my time just in acinstant state of worry.

I wish you all the very best and please keep.in touch if you would like to. I though maybe we could help each other as we seem to be in similar positions on our journey.

Wendyxxx