What else could it be?

Hello, I have been referred for a Colposcopy which is booked for Thursday because of my syptoms. I am 20 years old and my mum has a history of abnormal smear tests. Due to my age I have never had a smear test and have been referred directly to the Colposcopy Clinic. I initially went to my GP with a discharge and was given treatment for BV which was ineffective. I returned due to the same discharge and pain/bleeding during sex where I was given a full sexual health check. The results of these were clear and I was told to use over-the-counter thrush treatment (also ineffective). I was then referred for a colposcopy. 

I still experience the discharge but I do not know if the pain/bleeding during sex still occurs as I have been avoiding it. I have also had a constant ache/pain in my coccyx for the past few months and I have been on a period for more than two weeks now (I assume it's a period). My periods are all over the place so I do not know if this is unusual or not but I am not comfortable with my concerns. 

I would like to know if you think there is anything else my symptoms could be? I have done a lot of research but keep returning to CC as the less concerning conditions have been ruled out. Do you think I should be as worried as I am?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. But thank you. Leigha xx

Hi Leigha,

I wouldn't worry yet hun, I was in a similar situation 24 and never had a smear but all the symptoms (and told to try the same things as you BV & thrush etc) got referred by a locum GP straight to colposcopy.

The likelihood of it being CC at 20 is very low, it could be that you have cell changes on your cervix and at your age all should be treatable, go to your colposcopy and don't worry it's not as bad as you think.

Let us know how you get on.

xx