Waiting times for treatment to start

Hi. I’m very confused about waiting times and how long is ‘normal’ for treatment to start. I’ve read the 62 and 31 day rules, and here’s the thing. It’s been 61 days already since my GP made my urgent referral. I got diagnosed 25th April, they had my MDT meeting this Monday just gone, I’ve had an X-ray and MRI so that’s now 22 days already and I’m still waiting for appointment details to see the consultant to discuss treatment. Is this right?
I’ve been thrown into this world without any clue. I’ve had clear smears for the past 13 years, my last clear smear was this January. My cancer was spotted by my GP checking on bleeding after sex. I’ve been told hysterectomy is off the cards, it’s spread too much. I’m freaking out that it’s spreading while I’m waiting. I’ve had no timeline of abnormal activity down there so how do they know how fast it’s going? It’s the common squamous type one, so why it’s been missed is a mystery. I know all the bank holidays hasn’t helped, but does anyone have any timescales they can share? X

1 Like

Hi @leigh, sorry you have found yourself here, but glad you are here to talk, this forum has been so helpful.

Not quite the same situation but I had my smear on 18th November, colposcopy and LLETZ on 21st Dec, results 10th Jan, staging scans the following week because I chased for cancellations, MDT on 19th, surgery date of 15th feb which was put back to 1st March. My surgery did end up being outside of the 62 days. I was assured that it was slow growing, but was also told they don’t grade this type of cancer, although I have seen others talking about grade so that maybe my local hospital. All of my smears have previously been clear and my latest only showed cin2 when it was actually cancer, I am now waiting on results from a smear audit to see if this was missed, they’re only accurate by 70%

Thank you. At the moment I’ve no lymph node involvement apparently, and I don’t want that to change but the waiting is so stressful, especially as I’m having period like pains all the time, so it’s always on my mind.

Hi @leigh. I went through treatment this time last year. My GP first made an urgent referral 5th Jan, I was diagnosed in February and didn’t start treatment until 16th April. I was stage 3c2 with several lymph nodes throughout my abdomen, squamous cell, same as yourself. It’s nearly a year since I finished treatment and so far NED. Squamous cell is the slowest progressing cervical cancer so try not to worry too much about it spreading in the time u are waiting (easier said than done, I know)
Treatment goes by so fast and is easier than u think it would be. X

1 Like

Hi
Sorry you find yourself here, but it’s a good place to be to ask for advice, seek information and to just vent. Everyone is very understanding and I don’t know how I would have got by without everyone here.
I was diagnosed stage 3B grade 2 squamous type after having a biopsy on the 22nd December which was confirmed on the 29th December. Started full treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy on the 13th February, finished on the last day of March.
I’m now waiting for my 3 months pet-ct scan to see how it all went, this will be in the first week of July.
I think things should start moving for you pretty soon now if my timings are anything to go by.
Best of luck and sending virtual hugs, stay strong.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I chased up my appointment today and I’m being seen next Thursday. That will be exactly a month after I was told I had cancer. I’ve been told I’m 2B. I hope things move fast for me once I’ve had this appointment. X