Waiting for Colposcopy Results.. Anxious

Hi ladies,

I’ve never posted before but I’ve been reading the info on the site and forum posts for a while now. So grateful that this site exists.

I’ve been having smear tests since I was 17. I’m 25 now. All have come back clear. Didn’t go for the last 3 years so I finally booked one for September this year. Got a call about a week later saying my results were abnormal and was referred for ultrasound in October and colposcopy in November.

So I went for my colposcopy and the doc took 3 biopsies and did curettage. During colposcopy a large amount of the cervix was bright white after the solution was applied. I found the colposcopy quite painful.

After the procedure she told me that my smear test showed ASC-H… my regular doctor never told me that, she just said abnormal and referred me to this new doctor. New doc said she has been doing these procedures for over 15 years, so she knows what she’s doing. She said “I’m sorry to inform you that the biopsy results will take about 3-4 weeks. You should prepare yourself. In my professional opinion I would be very surprised if your results come back negative for cervical cancer”.

Sorry this post is getting long… anyways. I was just wondering, have any of your colposcopists said something like this to you? Perhaps she just had terrible bedside manner, or maybe she was truly just being honest. Anyways I had the procedure 2 weeks ago, so I’ve still got another 1-2 weeks of waiting for biopsy results. Obviously I’m quite shaken up and anxiety is getting to me. Any helpful words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow I'm shocked that she said it like that...!! Yes they do obviously know what they are looking for but could of maybe worded it abit different and she wouldn't know 100% until the biopsies are back I'm really shocked you got told like that and don't really know what to say to you for comfort.... I had a large white area too and had 3 biopsies taken mine had come back cin 3 this was my first smear (25) have you had any symptoms or anything? I have lletz on the 12th... sorry not much use for advice Hun but sending hugs xxx

Thanks for replying. Actually yes, since I turned maybe 20 or 21 I've had bleeding after intercourse. I've also had pretty irregular periods since I started mine at 11 years old. 

Not sure how much heredity plays into all of this, but my mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had a full hysterectomy when she was in her 30's. Blah!

The colposcopist told me that I will definitely be back for treatment but of course they need the biopsy results before moving forward. I guess now it's just the lovely waiting period. So stressful. 

Also wishing you the best of luck with your upcoming procedure!! Hope you heal beautifully and your results come back favourable. 

I really think that of it is cancer, results should not take 3-4 weeks! I think that in these cases they call you sooner.

I think that some doctors and many people consider that CIN 3 (or carcinoma in situ) is cancer, but it is not.

Anyway let's hope that if it's cancer, it's been caught pretty early. Hugs!

Hi Pipo,

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope they would call me sooner if it's truly a cancer. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out okay. 

My nurse said to me that it turned white very quikly and was worse than she had thought, probably high grade. she did a few biopsies and now im waiting 4 weeks. If she hadnt been honest with you, you would spend the entire time speculating. Try to remain calm and remeber if it is CC its probably low grade and can be easily treated. let me know how it goes xx