Waiting for biopsy results

Hello,

First time posting on here.

I’m 25 and a couple of months ago I had my first cervical screening.

After being told I would get my results within two weeks it took six weeks to hear anything back. Unfortunately the results showed that I had high risk HPV and abnormal cells. This was a surprise to me as I have never had sex with a man and my last female sexual partner was approx. 18 months ago.

On Tuesday I had a colposcopy. They showed me on a screen the area of abnormal cells which was quite large. A couple of biopsies were taken. I’ve been told it will be four to six weeks for the biopsy results.

I am concerned about the length of time I’ve had to wait, both for my initial screening results and now for the biopsies. Is this normal?

I am also concerned about this being my first cervical screening and the length of time I must have had HPV, meaning I could have had abnormal cells for a long time without any chance of it being picked up.

It’s an anxious time for me, not helped by an unexpected collapse on public transport yesterday. I’m hoping this was just heat-related, however it was my first experience of fainting and the timing has added to my concerns.

Anyway, I thought I’d join this forum to hear about other people’s experiences and hopefully put my mind at ease slightly during the horrible wait.

Hi,

I’m still waiting for results and im now going into 3rd week of waiting which is horrendous! Unfortunately it does seem to be right about how long it takes for results and that’s regardless of the diagnosis. I totally understand your anxiety and the best we can do is try not to think about it which for me is just ridiculous because of course you going to stress about it! Personally with all the equipment and technology, I don’t understand why it takes so long! 

Good luck with your results and I hope everything is ok x

4/6 weeks seems to be the normal amount of time ... my first biopsy took 23 days to come back ...that showed high grade cgin .

ive since had a lletz done and I’m now 13 days down the line.

most of the stories I’ve read if it is actually the dreaded C they let you know ASAP.

its important to remember that abnormal cells are NOT cancer .  They are changes which if left MAY turn cancerous.

its worth remembering that we have smears routinely every three years ... this isn’t a figure that they’ve plucked out of the sky, so abnormal cells are not urgently dealt with 

You can't only get it by having intercourse with the opposite sex..You can get it through oral sex, penetrating or any sexual contact of that nature. As long as you touch  someone's genetals and then touch yourself, you can  get it.