Urgent colposcopy after smear

Hi so I had my smear 18th feb after my husband said he felt a lump. Out of date for smears 10yrs. GP checked lump said looked fine. Had bloods done found b12 deficiency and iron deficiency. Have yesterday received letters one with results saying hpv+ and abnormal cells which will require treatment, urgent referral to colposcopy (within 2 week) No cin stage or any other info on the letter at all. Also received colposcopy letter same day for 21st March. Both dated 10th March. So I guess I’m on a urgent 2 week referral for suspected cancer?? Just wish the letter said more than abnormal cells will require treatment. Is this their roundabout way of saying prepare yourself? Has anyone else had a similar situation with no actual results other than abnormal requiring treatment?

I’m in Scotland, similar situation and my “urgent 2 week” is 5 weeks from my results due to covid backlog… my stress levels are through the roof, the not knowing is so hard…

mine was a 2 week referral just because its high grade changes, so doesnt necessarily mean something extra bad! I just had a colposcopy, loop treatment, and back on annual smears all ok. I think it depends on your area but im northeast england and have been through it a few times always on two week referrals. Can’t promise its the same where you are obviously but please dont get too worried! Hope youre both ok Xx

Ohh phew I’m northeast England too so it may be that!! My letter is just so vague it’s scary no actual information other than hpv and abnormal that will need treatment. I think that is what’s the scariest bit the vagueness

Ah thats a relief! Just looked back at my letters and theyre pretty vague too. Is it the RVI? if so they were really kind and helpful when i was actually there. You have a meeting with the nurse before the colposcopy so can get to ask questions, or they will ring you back if you want to call and leave a voicemail beforehand!

1 Like

I have a colposcopy as urgent but am down on paperwork as low grade Dyskaryosis so am imagining the worse.
I got my smear results and apt for colposcopy the day after.