Updated: Will they do a smear if you are under 25?

Hi all, Hope you don't mind me messaging here but I'm more than a little bit on the scared side! I am 22. I've had problems for the last three years now of having deep pain during sex, bleeding afterwards and bleeding in between periods and more recently I've had issues with discharge. It's always bothered me but I tend to avoid going to the doctors as much as I can so didn't really do much about it. My 25 year old sister has just had her first smear which then resulted in LLETZ.. at which point our mum decided to tell us she had lots of issues in her early twenties and eventually had a Hysterectomy not long after she had us. Obviously all this new information combined with my symptoms made me panic and I've been trying to build up the confidence to go to the doctors about it which I finally did today. I got quite lucky actually, I rang in and they had a free spot with the duty GP who just so happened to specialize in gyno! I went in today and explained everything to her and she was really nice and reassuring and said that I wouldn't be able to have a smear until i'm 25 as the lab would refuse to look at it. She did a pelvic examination and then I started panicing and I'm not entirely sure what happened from there! I know she decided to take some swabs and she said that when she took them there was some bleeding and then she went to do the notes on the computer which took her a good five minutes to write up (not exaggerating,she kept apologizing saying she wanted to get everything down) but that started to make me panic even more, especially as she then started saying she's trying to work out what to do as she wants to help me as best she can. She prescribed me two different antibiotics in case I have an infection and told me to come back next Friday to get checked again and she told me it would most likely be with a different doctor and she's put everything in the notes but she told me that I need to make sure the next doctor refers me to a gyno and its really important that they do. I, in my panic mode, didn't ask as many questions as I should have and left. Now I'm really worried and want to know why I would need to be referred, it's almost like she's not expecting the antibiotics to work which means there's something else wrong? If I am reffered to a gyno would they be able to do a smear test despite my age? Sorry for this being so long, I'm just so worried now and I'm trying to keep away from Google as much as I can!

hi ya hun. First of all well done on getting ti the Dr about this. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a appointment for a smear, it is much better that she wants a referral to gynae. If you had gone down the smear route and abnormal cells were seen then you would have been referred to colposcopy anyway so this is a more direct route that Dr is suggesting for you. now there are many things that can cause pain, discharge and bleeding from polyps to fibroids as well as cervical cell changes. So taking swabs would be the first step, treating any infections to get these cleared up and then referral to gynae to rule out cervical cell changes, polyps and fibroids etc. Sounds like your Dr is doing everything she can to get you some answers and looked at. you may find once at gynae they will do a colposcopy procedure to look at your cervix for any cell changes. definitely go to your next appointment and push for a referral to gynae.

Hiya!

This is excellent news! A smear test is not a particularly good diagnostic tool, it's just a method of screening. So it's a bit like a horizontal bar with a sign on it saying 'anyone shorter than this not allowed on this ride'. What you are actually getting is being taken seriously by a real doctor, and this is worlds better. Some gynaecological problems produce a discharge, and so do some infections, so the antibiotics are to clear up any infections to rule that out as a cause of the discharge. In addition, infections can make it much more difficult to interpret samples taken so it's important to clear up any infections first, if indeed that is what you have. It sounds to me like you are going to have a proper examination next week and possibly biopsies taken. A biopsy is a million times more useful than a smear. It seems to me that unlike almost everybody else, you have managed not to get fobbed off with delaying tactics and you have managed to get your foot in the door straightaway. Don't let this make you panic, it's all the waiting around that is way more troubling. Keep completely away from Google, try not to worry and be very happy that you are being taken seriously and being treated like an adult. This is really quite rare and special. You are in extremely good and capable hands by the sound of it :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you so much for your comments - your support is very much appreciated!

I did feel so lucky getting that doctor on the day, I think what had scared me most was that I had read up so much on how people usually have to jump through hoops to be taken seriously and I was taken seriously immeditaley which made me panic thinking it must be bad! 

The antibiotic combination I am on is (precautionairy) to treat PID in case that is it - and my god the tablets are the worst things I've ever had! Make me feel so ill and I can't even enjoy a glass of wine - boo!. One more week of those then they are finished. 

I had my follow-up appointment at the doctors today with a different doctor, she didn't do a pelvic exam but following-on from whatever is in the notes she did an urgent reffeal to gynae - which (once again) has made me panic because its urgent!. I also got the results back from the swabs which all came back clear (which means I am unlikely to have PID but I am trying to convince myself to keep taking the tablets just in case..). 

But for now, more waiting! I'm guessing with an urgent refferal I will hear back quite soon? I'm just trying to stay positive for now :)

Hi HiddenElegance

I hope you have had your appointment come through now? I really hope you get some answers soon! There's nothing worse than waiting when it comes to things like this, but try and stay busy and occupied if you can so that your mind is focusing on other things.

Take care and let us know how you get on

xx

Nope, still not had anything come through yet :( Going to try and hold off until mid-week and I'll call doctors again if I still hear nothing :(

Hi HiddenElegance

I really hope you hear soon and if not then definitely chase! I hope you haven't been worrying too much and that you hav kept yourself busy amid waiting for an appointment.

Take care and let us know how you get on xx

Well, called through to the Doctors last night to find out what was going on.. they confirmed I was reffered on the 4th but said it was not urgent.

I asked the receptionist to have a proper look at the notes/letter and she realised it was supposed to have been urgent! So she faxed it over to the hospital late night so now more waiting. Yay!