Unsure what to do

Hi everyone,
I went for a smear test in February and the result was low grade HPV, however as I was showing symptoms of vulvodynia the doctor referred me to gynaecologist. She did a colposcopy to have a look inside and noticed one abnormal cell which she took a biopsy from. The results showed the low grade HPV again but CIN2 cells present which was confusing. She advised we monitor as it’s possible she’d taken the one cell away in the biopsy. I recently had my 6 month follow up check, this time the HPV test showed high risk HPV, and during the colposcopy more cells were visible however the biopsy only showed inflammation of the cervix. My gynaecologist told me that it’s possible the biopsy didn’t grab the abnormal part of the cell. From her visual she was sure it was a high grade cell again, CIN2. I asked her advice, she said if I was 25 years old and wanting children (I’m soon 38 and not planning children) she would advise continuing to monitor. However I’m not so the decision is up to me, the loop therapy would at least allow them to take away the abnormal cells and test them.
I’m not sure what to do, I’m not planning children but I’ve got friends who had the treatment and found it painful for some time after and some had complications. But I also have anxiety over the possibility of the cells turning cancerous. Has anyone faced a similar situation or have any advice?
Thanks.

Hi Gracie
That means it took about 6 months to go from low grade hpv to high grade hpv , I am not a doctor but I know if it showed CN 2 they should have offered you treatment instead of waiting and monitoring. Anyway since now you are here with high grade hpv I would advise you go for the loop / lletz procedure. I was treatment March this year for cn 2/3 , they did a lletz under GA and few weeks ago I was given the all clear after the 6 month test of cure, I thank God for that.
All the best and keep us posted
x

1 Like

Thanks Jane

She did say they could do treatment back then but she recommended waiting as it was a really small cell, like a tiny white area that showed, which she may have gotten with the biopsy. From a lot of blogs I’ve read I am feeling that it’s best to get the treatment.
I’m so pleased your treatment was successful! Did you have much pain or any complications?

I have Vulvodynia. Understand your dilemma. Think I’d be tempted to leave, but that’s just my opinion, hope you can decide soon and then put to the back of your mind X

1 Like

Thanks for reading and writing back . About 3 days before my preop , I tested Positive for Covid so my gyno suggested I wait for atleast 2 weeks and so the lletz under GA was done on 31st of March . I wount say I wasn’t stressed, it was scary to be put to sleep 2 weeks after recovering from Covid. But everything went smoothly , I followed all the guidelines. I was expecting to bleed immediately but had only watery discharge for almost 1 week , then nothing until something like 3 weeks later when the bleeding started followed by my periods. Went back to gyno and he said it’s normal .
If they do offer you the lletz treatment I think there is nothing to worry about it’s not as bad as it sound .
Xx

2 Likes

Thanks Cherry berry xx

1 Like

You poor thing sounds like you had a rough time. Thanks for letting me know, it’s comforting to know it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. Happy it all went smoothly for you too. Xx

1 Like