CIN1 to high grade in a year!

Hello
I made a post a few weeks ago saying I had an abnormal smear last year and colposcopy discovered CIN1 no treatment required. I’ve got my yearly follow up colposcopy appointment tomorrow and have just been contacted by them to say my smear has come back with high grade changes! I’m so shocked to receive this news as I was expecting it to go away or stay the same, not get worse! Does anybody have any experience on this. Thank you

Yes. As ‘scary’ as it seems, it can happen. Last year, I had CIN3, after having had a HPV positive with no abnormalities result the previous year. It comes as a bit of a shock doesn’t it? I had a successful lletz treatment, with a clear smear test following the treatment, so my next smear will be 3years after that.

Hi Marie

You and me seem to be pretty much in the same boat, mine was low grade last year follow up smear also said low grade however at the colposcopy said it was high grade, it’s definitely a shock to the system to say the least! I had a LLETZ treatment to remove the cells 4 weeks ago just waiting on those results to come back x

We seem to be within the 10% who progress to a higher grade but the main thing is it was caught before it had the chance to possibly progress into anything more x

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/abnormal-cells/about-cell-change

This page has more information on cell changes that you might find more helpful/informative x

Hi guys
Thanks for the reply’s, it’s nice to know that you’re not alone in all this as it definitely feels like it!
I had my appointment today, didn’t even have an examination! I asked for a GA to have lletz done, I just couldn’t do it :disappointed: so now I’m sat with a large glass of wine and waiting for my appointment to come through. Had my pre assessment over the phone so trying to just calm myself now!

Hi guys
Had my pre op assessment yesterday and have my procedure on Monday afternoon! So very nervous right now. Trying to just go day to day but can’t help but think they’re going to find something more on the day

Well it’s been a very long day. I had to be at the hospital for 11.30 and was on the afternoon list. I got there and changed into a gown with my dressing gown and slippers. The nurses were lovely the entire time even tho I was an emotional wreck and anytime anyone came to speak to me I just cried! They said I was third on the list. Spoke with the nurses and surgeon and anaesthetist and went down around 3.30. They couldn’t find a good vein so had a few attempts at that and honestly I think that was the worst bit! I was asleep in second and then it was over with!
I was up on the ward at 6 only to find my bag had been sent home with another patient. 4 hours later bag is returned and I got to go home :blush:

1 Like

Well done, Marie - you’ve got through it, appreciated the humour of losing your bag (temporarily) and you’re done! Here’s all best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery. I was terrified for my first GA that I wouldn’t wake up again - tears as the line went in - but you do, and ACTUALLY I’d much rather snooze through the process than cope with the pain. X

Hi Jacks, thank you so much for the comments of support on my posts. It really does mean a lot and is really helpful to hear your positive stories. I’m now putting it to the back of my mind for a bit until I get my results as it has been quite a month! X

Hi all
So I had my LLETZ done on the 9th. Today I had a phone call (stomach flipped instantly as I knew it was the hospital) it was a lady from the colposcopy clinic. She said that they found what they thought which was cin3 but also another abnormality that they don’t normally find (she didn’t say what it was) she said they are pretty sure they got it all when they did the procedure but because they found this other abnormality they want to just check it all again and discuss it in their meeting. She said they will then decide either smear in 6 months or other? She then said they’re not concerned and it’s nothing nasty?? What does this mean!!! :sob: