Unsure and worried

Hello, 

recently had lletz and they found cancer they say they got it all but having to go every 6 months for ten years to make sure it doesn't come back

As with only being 28 I am quite scared, I have one child that is 4, and was told to keep hysterectomy in the back of my head, just scared thinking it may keep coming back.

looking for a bit of support and if anyway is in the same situation?
I'm glad that they got it all but terrified also, finding it all very hard to get my head round

thank you

leanne 

Hi Leanne,

Its no wonder you feel like you do. Hearing you have cancer is a huge shock to the system and something none of us expect to hear.Its fantastic that they think they got it all and they wouldn’t say that unless they really thought they did. Yet the worry it may come back is very real and very usual after a diagnosis.

Focus on the positives and get on with life as best you can and hopefully it gets easier over time. Big hugs to you xx

Hi

The fact your cancer was treatable with LLETZ means it was very small, probably non-invasive, often referrred to as a cancer-in-situ.  Catching and treating cancer at this stage is one of the really great things about the cervical screening programme.  Even so, as noodlesdoodles so rightly points out it's a huge shock to hear the c word coming our way and it takes quite a degree of mental processing to get one's head round the idea. It's very normal to be concerned about it coming back so probably the best thing to do now is to do what you can to hopefully ensure it doesn't.  So continue to follow the medical advice and attend for all your check ups - don't get complacent a few years down the line if you get a lot of all clear results.  I fell into the complacent trap when after many normal smear test results I decided I could safely stop getting smear tests age 50y! There is evidence that smoking increases your risk for cc so if you do smoke then quit.  Also leading a healthy lifestyle helps boost the immune system which should help minimise the chances of it coming back

One of the things that helped me come to terms with my own cc situation was to do awareness raising.  Just little things like placing a Jo's information leaflet (downloadable on this website) maybe on a works or community notice board or in a female toilet area etc.  I was surprised how much positive feedback I got when I started awareness raising - it helped me feel less isolated as many women have shared their own stories with me.  I didn't start awareness raising until I was in a relatively good place myself and I only do it if and when I am comfortable to do so.

Best Wishes

x