Treatment soon

I start treatment in about 2 weeks. I was looking through the papers they gave me about side effects and reactions to the chemo and radiation and it kind of scared me. Is treatment as bad as It sounds like it is? And does anyone have any tips for me?

It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be, but everyone reacts differently so itā€™s important to tell your team about any side effects when they occur. They have lots of lotions and potions which will helpā˜ŗļø I managed to get away with a little diarrhoea and some slight burning to my bits. The main thing was the fatigue, but once you get halfway through the time just flies by! It helped me to cross days off the calendar, it felt like a little win after every treatment xxx

1 Like

@OldRed Hopefully I get through it with minor issues. Finger crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™m day 3 and u was exactly like you, constantly reading up on it, Iā€™m only day 3 today 3 radio down and 1 chemo down, I feel more drained from sitting for hours at chemo, but other than that Iā€™m ok and not feeling any affects at the moment, Or took any meds they give me today will start them tomorrow more the steroids for 3 days which need to be took and sickness tablets when needed, Iā€™ve also some tablets for bowels when I need them x

1 Like

Hi @Maxpower i see your concerned about chemo reactions and I wanted to reassure you, I did a cancer research trial that involved a different chemo and I did have an allergic reaction to it but the response to fix that from the staff is instant they are well trained and there for every possibility!
The standard chemo is in effect to help the radiation and you will surprise yourself how strong you are, everyone is different but the treatments are very doable and any side effects are easily managed if you tell your team!
On another note donā€™t go on a Google search for info, stick to sites like these xx

1 Like

Iā€™m onto week 3 of chemo/radiotherapy and whilst I do have some side effects itā€™s not as bad as I was thinking. You do have to sign off what seems like your life at the time but everything has to be covered and mentioned. I think what threw me was I didnā€™t realise how tired I would get particularly as Iā€™m a very active and sporty person. You must rest when you need to and itā€™s a way to know that the treatment is working as a friend told me. Please also take anything offered. Week 2 I felt quite nauseous and mentioned it to my consultant and immediately my anti sickness prescription was upped and I feel better apart from now having heart burn as a result but thereā€™s also a fix for that too! Wishing you well on your journey x

1 Like

I hope treatment goes well for you :slight_smile:

Itā€™s good to know that the treatments are doable. I think I read possible side effects and started overthinking it.

Luckily my oncologist prepared me me for how tired I will be. Itā€™s not going to be fun being that tired but itā€™s worth it to get rid of the cc.

1 Like

Thank you, yes my consultant did warn me about tiredness but still didnā€™t realise how much it might wipe me out. Iā€™m glad I signed off work now as couldnā€™t have coped with that too.

1 Like