Top hat lletz - not happy

Hi,

I had a lletz procedure almost 3 week ago. I had been hesitating to have to procedure done for some time. I have previously cleared cin2 and cin3 in the past, with no treatment, but it had reoccurred yet again this year.
Anyhow finally decided to get it over and done with, they have removed 9mm with the first pass of the loop, then a further excision ontop of that, removing a further depth of 11mm of my cervix. So now I have a total of 20mm of my cervix removed. The results have come back cin2/3 for first excision, the second deeper sample was clear of abnormalities.
I am shocked by just how much of my cervix has been taken. I have 2 children already and not planned to have anymore - but hadn’t wanted to rule out a third entirely. Now I feel like the choice has been taken from me.
It seems excessive to take away 20mm of my cervix, it wasnt ever discussed prior to the lletz itself that they would take a “top hat”. I feel mutilated and very upset and angry with the whole thing. To boot I don’t even have clear margins- letter said they expected the cauterisation afterwards to have cleared it, but I guess I’ll find out in 6 months time.
I had never been told they suspected any endocervical abnormalities so I’m not sure why I’ve had an additional more invasive lletz. Overall I feel very upset and I question that I would have allowed the second loop had I have known how much tissue they were taking away.

Hi there, I know this is a an older post and I fully understand if you don’t respond to this, but I had quite a similar experience - I had CIN3 on my colposcopy biopsies, followed by a LLETZ which showed only CIN1 without clear margins and a depth of 22mm was removed from my cervix which to be honest I’m finding hard to come to terms with too. They told me it “wasnt a big one” during the procedure but it seems like most other people on here have had much smaller excisions. I don’t have any children and I would like one in the next few years so this is actually quite distressing to me especially as it appears it may have been removed completely unnecessarily.

I was wondering if your next smear came back clear? I am having to wait another 6 months for mine and I’m dreading it. I really don’t want to go through this again. Hope all is ok with you and so sorry you’ve been through this too.